Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bitten by deer tick >

Bitten by deer tick

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bitten by deer tick

Old 07-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bitten by deer tick

Been Bitten twice , both times been given cyclosporin just in case.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear about your husband flhuntress. In the past I have had the attitude " oh that little tick isn,t going to hurt you. " But after your post I think I will think twice next time I have a tick on me. I thought once you knew you had it that it was treated easily with antibotics but I see I was wrong again.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I pulled a lot of ticks off of me over my 46 years and never really thought about lyme disease until the last couple of years. Best thing that I have tried to keep them off of me is the Repel Permanone. I was out in the woods a lot over the 4th of July holiday, sprayed my clothes with that stuff and didn't find a tick on me except one. I think that one hitched a ride on my equipment and got me after I got my clothes off. Used it last year with only one tick getting on me, and that was on my hand, where I didn't have the protected clothing.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say I've ever had a deer tick on me, or even seen one. But I have hadthose other ticks, I dont know the name of them, but Ive had plenty on me before.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:23 AM

DK,

You're probably thinking of a wood tick. They tend to be much larger in size and from for what I know they do not carry lyme.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. Thats it. Wood tick. Looked it up on google.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no expert, but I think I've heard that getting tested too early isn't good either. It may be recommended to wait a week or two to ensure the test will pick it up. I'm not sure how soon after being infected that blood tests will show that you've contracted the disease, maybe someone can answer that via this thread...
Old 07-14-2005, 02:47 PM

RI,
The nurse said it takes anywhere from 3 days to 3 months to show up in the blood. They've instructed me to watch the bite and report any aches or fever symptoms. They don't want to see me right away but have scheduled me lab work on my next visit unless I show symptoms proir.

According to the nurse, 1 in 3 deer ticks will carry lyme disease.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

it takes 24-48 hours for a deer tick to transmit lymes!

i had a couple on me this year already, no big deal... if you want a sure fire way to remove them without breaking their heads, use alcohol... pure stuff works best in a shot glass seal it around the little bugger on the skin and let em have it.. they will usually back right out after a few seconds the longest i had one in me doing that was like 3 minutes.. he was tough ittle bugger.. but remember if you get it with a tweezers and you miss the head it can stil transmit lymes to you! so if you have any dout get checked!

here is a website! http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/pests/DeerTicks.htm
Old 07-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

had lyme and I still feel the effects of it 9 years later. Bad stuff

Quick Reply: Bitten by deer tick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.