Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arm Slap??

Old 07-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arm Slap??

Does anybody else have the string on there bow slap there wrist when they shoot? Is this normal or does it mean something is wrong with my bow? When I first got the bow the first year it didn't do that but I shot twice a day. Now I shoot 3-4 times a week if I am lucky to have time. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Arm Slap??

Generally speaking when you experience arm slap it is usually the result of either improper shooting form, too long of a draw length or both. I am more inclined to believe that it is the former since you didn't have the problem initially.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:00 PM

Are you locking your bow arm straight out, or bending it slightly? If you are locking your elbow straight, this causes arm slap. Also, another factor regards proper draw length.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always lock my arm straight.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:11 PM

I would guess that if you bent your arm slightly, and held the grip loosely, you will fix the problem. By bending you arm, though, you may need to shorten your draw by a touch, I don't know.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:45 PM

I would shorten your draw length and start working on having a slight bend in your bow arm while at full draw...

I used to have a problem of occasionally hitting inside of my forearm and it hurt like h*ll...I bet the wrist stings!!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:55 PM

A slight bend in your arm should eliminate your problem. Also have your length checked the string stretch could be part of the problem. Becareful this is not a good thing to get started.

What worse than slapping your arm with the string slapping your arm twice or more in a row. I once hit 3 time and on the third hit I started jumpin up and down screamin like a little kid.

Owl
Old 07-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

That happened to me when I first shot my bow. It was because of improper form. Try turning your elbow out.
Good luck.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Pa on this either your standing to square to your bow or your draw length is too long .Try standing at a little more of an angle from your bow turn yourdrawing armshoulder in a bit, and you'll notice that your arm and wrist has a little more clearance from your string which should help your problem ,if this doesn't work then I'd check your draw length.

nubo
Old 07-14-2005, 07:59 AM

I think its your grip and your arm locked. Once you get used to locking that arm its hard to break, because it doesn't feel natural anymore tobend your elbow. All you need to do is unlock your elbow, not necessarily bend it out. Also, if your grip is straight up and down through the palm of your hand, that rotates your forearm right into the string. Take your grip hand and rotate it so that your knuckles make a line that is at about a 45 degree angle to the ground. That should put the grip right across the meaty part of where you thumb joins your hand. Hold your bow like that, then rotate it back to how you have been holding it and you will see justt how much that little bit of difference rolls your forearm in and out of the strings path. Also, this grip will make it easier to keep your arm from locking as it makes a slightly bent elbow feel more natural. Hope it helps.

I personally don't think the culprit is string stretch increasing your draw length. If that was the culprit you would have probably seen it start creeping in when you were shooting alot. It doesn't take factory strings long to start stretching.

Quick Reply: Arm Slap??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.