HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Deer Hunting Has Just Changed! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/105432-deer-hunting-has-just-changed.html)

Cooper1 07-13-2005 04:10 PM

Deer Hunting Has Just Changed!

What do you guys think about this, would you use it?

http://www.ThermalScout.Com

MOTOWNHONKEY 07-13-2005 04:15 PM

RE: Deer Hunting Has Just Changed!

no

i shoot stuff 07-13-2005 04:17 PM

infa red for hunting nice. no thats not hunting thats poaching

Sagittarius62 07-13-2005 04:20 PM

$8,500or $10,500 a piece? I think not.

Antler Eater 07-13-2005 04:26 PM

Nothing has changed. The average guy is not going to be able to afford that gadget.

rdneckhntr 07-13-2005 04:33 PM

no, even if i wanted to i could never afford one

drstalker 07-13-2005 04:34 PM

I was wondering when they where going to come out with one of these things.We use something similar in the electric industry, to find hot spots on conductors&connections.Also the gametracker uses an idea like it(not as sophisticated)for finding downed game, the gametracker is a gadget and cheesy.I think it would be used as a poaching tool.

kevin1 07-13-2005 04:38 PM

Thermal tracking devices are illegal here , and I wouldn't use one if it were legal.

Dairy King 07-13-2005 04:39 PM

What exactly does the gametracker do? Ive seen it in Cabelas and stuff but never understood it.

Matt / PA 07-13-2005 04:45 PM

Honestly?........for that money never in a million years.
If someone GAVE me one I'm sure I could find a use for it, but it's no substitute for good woodsmanship, tracking skills, and shooting ability.
There may be the rare occaision where we all WISH we had something like that but the cost makes it impractical for all but maybe high dollar outfitters who could benefit from one due to their business of locating live and or wounded game for clients year in and year out.......or the guy with more money than good sense.;)

For the price of that one unit I could go on a Caribou hunt one year, a quality Midwest bowhunt for deer the next and maybe a trophy pronghorn hunt the year after that.........fully guided.

For me,out of my own pocket......no.
(But hey if you want to give me one for testing?:))

nodog 07-13-2005 05:13 PM

And if Matt is unable too I'd like to see it.:D

driftrider 07-13-2005 05:25 PM

Thermographic vision is for attack helicopters, fighter jetsand tanks, not deer hunters.

Mike

teamster284 07-13-2005 05:38 PM

$8500 + ??????? HELL NO !!!! NOT EVEN IF IT WERE FREE.

Lil Bald Man 07-13-2005 05:41 PM

That just doesn't quite seem sporting, now does it???

BOWFANATIC 07-13-2005 06:16 PM

Can you use them to find the remote?

Then I'd have no use for it!

Beagle001 07-13-2005 08:30 PM

way too much. i wouldnt use it to hunt deer, maybe when i go shining or something, or when we have parties and are playing capture the flag (dont laff at that, or ill have to hurt you)

Jeremy217 07-13-2005 08:40 PM

for $8500 it best find the deer for me..

PABowhntr 07-13-2005 08:42 PM

I don't know. Maybe I will be the one to buck the trend here. I won't pay that type of price for it but if they sold it for $300-$400 then I would consider using it strictly for recovery of game in a situation where I was unable to find the downed animal via conventional means. I would rather find him with that device then have him laying somewhere rotting.

As for using it in any other fashion...heck no.

drstalker 07-13-2005 08:52 PM

Dairy ,The Gametraker is a cheesy little unit that suposedly works off of heat.Years ago I was desperate to find a deer I had shot.I searched and searched and finaly thought that I would go to a local sporting goods store to buy one,because of that sick feeling that I had.I looked for many hours,before deciding to buy this danged thing.Anyhow all it did was take me to areas where the sun had warmed trees and stuff like that.It seamed like a gimmic to me.I have learned alot since then and hope to never ,ever lose another animal again.I now have a dog that I will be training that is supposed to be an excelent breed for blood trailing,not that I ever plan on it ever happening again..

Paul L Mohr 07-13-2005 09:31 PM

You can get night vision much cheaper than that, it just isn't as clear. They go by generations. I believe they are 1st gen, 2nd gen and 3rd gen. Each progressively gets less grainy and clearer. You can get first gen night vision at walmart if you want it.

I don't see what good it would do you to hunt with? Unless you can find a way to mount it to a bow and aim with it. It wouldn't be bad for scouting at night or playing with in the tree stand if you are in your stand real early before it gets light out. I was in the stand one morning and there were two bucks fighting near me, but it was too dark to make them out. A night vision scope would have been cool so I could have watched them. I don't see how it wold help you shoot one though?

I am pretty sure you can get them as a scope for a rifle, but they are pretty expensive. I think some people use them for varmint hunting at night or something. Mostly for sniper type stuff would be my guess though. I had a friend when I was a kid that his dad had a thermal scope on a rifle. You had to have a pack that you carried around with it for it to work. It basically showed a thermal image of what was infront of it. It was pretty cool, you could see mice and other animals in a corn feild at night. Except they were weird colors depending on the amount of heat they gave out. I have no idea what he used it for or how much something like that cost that many years ago.

As far as actually using something like that to hunt deer with, yep, poaching no doubt about it. No different than spot lighting them in my opinion.

Paul

MasterBlaster 07-13-2005 09:51 PM

For 10K????????????? That is freekin nuts. If a hunter sucks so bad he needs that to find a deer he doesnt need to be hunting and is no real hunter at all.

nselvis 07-13-2005 10:24 PM

I wouldn't use it, even if I could afford it.

i shoot stuff 07-13-2005 10:44 PM

i would use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (for when i go paintballing at night or if the guy is so well hid i cant find him, and other stuff like that. but for hunting got ot my earlier post on page one)

nodog 07-15-2005 04:58 AM

Just like laser range finders and bino's they give an unfair advantage to the hunter and should be illegal. If you can't see it with your eye and judge it without an aid, it ain't hunting. :D I don't think topo's are fair either. Using a satilite to hunt, how fair is that?:D

Arthur P 07-15-2005 07:52 AM

Any of you guys checked the advertisers list? Right or wrong, the product you're bashing is helping pay for the forum.[&:]

TURKEY FAN 07-15-2005 08:14 AM

I wonder how much it takes to produce one of those!! I think they should put there money towards soemthing of use.

Justin 07-15-2005 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Any of you guys checked the advertisers list? Right or wrong, the product you're bashing is helping pay for the forum.[&:]
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, whether they be for or against anyone who sponsors this site. That's the greatest part about living in America.

Arthur P 07-15-2005 08:40 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, whether they be for or against anyone who sponsors this site. That's the greatest part about living in America.
No argument there, Justin. Just thought it might be good info for the fellers to know, and keep in mind.;) But it is nice to know that even unfavorable opinions about sponsors' products can be expressed on this forum, as opposed to some other forums I've been on.

HuntingBry 07-15-2005 01:36 PM

Thermal Scout thermal imaging equipment is an affordable tool that will aid you in maximizing time and effort while on your hunts. Whether it be recovering an otherwise “lost” animal, or selecting the perfect tree or valley to hunt in

Price: $8,500.00 + S&H
(Illinois residents please add 6.5% State sales tax)

Price: $10,500.00 + S&H
(Illinois residents please add 6.5% State sales tax)

Doesn't sound very affordable to me. Doesn't seem very ethical either. I don't know, but it's not for me.

drstalker 07-15-2005 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

You can get night vision much cheaper than that, it just isn't as clear. They go by generations. I believe they are 1st gen, 2nd gen and 3rd gen. Each progressively gets less grainy and clearer. You can get first gen night vision at walmart if you want it.

I don't see what good it would do you to hunt with? Unless you can find a way to mount it to a bow and aim with it. It wouldn't be bad for scouting at night or playing with in the tree stand if you are in your stand real early before it gets light out. I was in the stand one morning and there were two bucks fighting near me, but it was too dark to make them out. A night vision scope would have been cool so I could have watched them. I don't see how it wold help you shoot one though?

I am pretty sure you can get them as a scope for a rifle, but they are pretty expensive. I think some people use them for varmint hunting at night or something. Mostly for sniper type stuff would be my guess though. I had a friend when I was a kid that his dad had a thermal scope on a rifle. You had to have a pack that you carried around with it for it to work. It basically showed a thermal image of what was infront of it. It was pretty cool, you could see mice and other animals in a corn feild at night. Except they were weird colors depending on the amount of heat they gave out. I have no idea what he used it for or how much something like that cost that many years ago.

As far as actually using something like that to hunt deer with, yep, poaching no doubt about it. No different than spot lighting them in my opinion.

Paul
I thought that the night vision stuff needed moonlight or some kind of artificial light or something?I don't know.I do know one thing though,the thermal imageing device that we used to use at work (to find hot spots on HV electric connections)used liquid nitrogen inside it.useless info I know but just thought that I would share:D

driftrider 07-15-2005 04:44 PM

I thought that the night vision stuff needed moonlight or some kind of artificial light or something?
Standard nightvision does require some level of ambient light (ie stars, moonlight,or even faint artificial light). Somenightvision devices have built-in IR illuminators (IR LEDs) that provide enough ambient light toallow the NVG's to functioneven in complete darkness to limited distances.

Mike

Leverdude 07-15-2005 04:46 PM

I dont think I'm interested but wonder why they say its "cost effective"? Does that mean you can get $10,000 worth of deer with it? :eek: