Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How high is too high? >

How high is too high?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How high is too high?

Old 07-12-2005, 07:57 PM

Default RE: How high is too high?

I think this better represents a deer's build

Chuck Adams has talked long and hard about shooting deer high in stands and it being just as effective as being low

Old 07-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

I love sitting in a tree around 25 ft...... Do you know how hard it is to find a tree over 10 feet tall in west Teaxas, LOL!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is such a thing as too high. Depending on terrain, you can get to a height to where the angles get "worse", or more severe, with each inch you climb.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:24 PM
New Sheriff

Hey Frank, how the hell have ya been?

Long time....
Old 07-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never been over 15 feet.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer to climb 20-25ft most of the time. However, depending on terrain, foliage (early fall), or saplings and low limbs, I'll vary my height to where I think I can get a good shot. (For those of you that will bash me for not clearing lanes, I do clear lanes on my favored sites but I do a lot of "pop-up" hunting with my climber so clearing lanes isn't always an option)
Old 07-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Morty3

I usually stop climbing when my nose begins to bleed or when I can wave to pilots.
Is that what happened to Santa.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually I think Zak summed it up rather well.
The higher up you are , and the closer to the tree the deer is , the less likely you are to get a double lunger. You can always do the spine shot , but thats not my cup of tea.
When I was a wee lad I found out the hard way that if your hunting from 30ft up you'd best be practicing from 30ft up , not 10 , 15 , or 20ft. At 30ft above ground it can make a 40yd shot look like a 20yd shot.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:29 AM

I just wanted to add this in here because we are talking about high stands......A few years ago my dad built a nice enclosed stand with sliding windows and everything, it was about 3'x3'x6' tall. We built it so we could take it apart in panels and re-assemble it in the tree. The tree that he hunts in is a really big pine on top of a 15' tall hump in the middle of a river bottom with all alders and stuff. Me and a buddy went up one weekend and hauled the stand back there down the river, and built the stand way up in the pine. It was a ton of work, and not safe while trying to mount the platform to the tree and all. Once we finished the stand, we took our 50' rope and used it to measure how high the stand was, well, the rope just touched the ground, and reached up to te platform of the stand! When you are sitting in the stand your head is 54-55' high in this tree! And to make it better, it is on a 15' tall humb, so you are about 70' above the river bottom! Not a good stand in the wind! Him and I have taken several bucks out of that stand in the past 5 years.
Oh yeah, did I mention this is a rifle stand? I couldn't imagine ever trying to shoot a bow from that high!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:39 AM

Great visual Zak.

In most instances I'm between 18 and 23 feet. I'll go slightly higher if the situation requires but I prefer to hunt under 25 feet.

Quick Reply: How high is too high?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.