Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbing TreeStand Problems ! >

Climbing TreeStand Problems !

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing TreeStand Problems !

Old 07-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Climbing TreeStand Problems !

I have to agree, you are hunting tooooo high. I like between 16-23 ft (don't ask how I came up with the numbers, it sounds good). another option would be to check out www.buckshot-stands.com they have a leveling system on their one stand called the equalizer.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:22 PM

If I notice that the tree tapers off significantly, I will tilt my stand and climber upward and attach it that way. As I climb, the stand and climber usually will level out.

Once in place, I feel comfortable re-adjusting the climber/seat but rarely have I ever chanced adjusting the stand.

Once while hunting with a buddy's stand, I attempted to adjust the platform and really got into trouble. While lying flat on the seat, stomach down, I reached down and disconnected the platform, made the adjustment, but like to NEVER got the retaining pin back in place. My abdominal muscles were about to give out when I finally got the pin in. NEVER AGAIN!!
Old 07-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

I've adjusted the cable on my Summit lots' of times.

Try is down low to see how it works but it's pretty easy. For one, on the top you can just put the strap you secure it with one adjust all you want.

For the bottom, I bring it up close to the top like you are climbing and then set it in the tree.
Put your knees in the seat, facing the tree, and pull up the end away from the tree to catch them with your toes and push it against the tree. You will still have both hands free and it's easy to hold it there as long as you need. The cable will be loose and you can do what every you want to with it.
It takes about 4 times as long to type it out as it does to just do it..
Try it. You'll see, it's easy.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I also think that maybe you are going a little high, unless you are hunting on a hillside. I have 7 stands ranging from 6' to 25' above the ground.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

As said before, angle your stand up when you start and it will be level when you reach the top. You'll get the hang of it after a while.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I used to have this problem, but then I used my head. When I put my stand on the tree I put it on so that it is tilted up more than I used to. Now when I climb higher it levels out. Just a suggestion, but you still need a safety harness or belt.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:43 PM

That's pretty high. I can see doing it if you're scouting but hunting from that altitude would give me a nose bleed. I use an Old Man climber and can adjust those straps while up in the tree. It's a scary thing to do and requires a bit of guts and coordination because to get back down you're going to have to loosen them up again. I usually don't get down until it's too darn dark to see a thing so I'm doing it all by touch. I can think of only one place on my property I get that high and it's only because the tree sits in a valley so the only way to get 20 feet over the surrounding high ground is to get 40 feet up in the tree. I won't even think of using it on a windy day. You can get tossed around quite a bit up there.
I agree with supaarcher that the best move is to start the climb with the stand as tight as possible.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:18 AM

I don't think it is high at all. I generally climb 25-30 feet with my Summit. I primarily hunt public land and the deer know to look up about 15 feet around here. I have been busted many times at that height but gone unnoticed at 25+ feet.

As many have mentioned, you can start with the platform tilted towards the tree and it will gradually level out. My Summit is also very easy to adjust while climbing. You can adjust the seat while standing on the platform and it only takes about 15 seconds. For the platform I do something similiar to Jack Ryan only I lower the seat close to the platform and then sit down facing out. I then hook my feet around and under the platform tilting it to the tree. Then I can just reach down and adjust the cable. Basically the same thing but sitting instead of kneeling. Remember to keep the cord that attaches the platform to the seat in case you drop it. That thing saved me from huggin a tree down 20 feet one time. Always remember to wear a safety harness when doing this. It only takes a split second to fall.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:52 AM

I agree with Rile1564. The Summit Viper is one of the best stands around IMHO. I love the fact that you can adjust it while in mid climb(not recommended unless you are completely strapped in and comfortable with what you are doing). My old Loggy couldnt do that. I like the Viper so much I got one for a relative for his birthday. ANy treestand that is as stable as the Viper gets the nod in my book. Only one more stand I feel as comfortable in and thats a lock on, but ill save that for another thread.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: LungBuster101

What About a Tree Lounge Stand they say you can climb 40 or 50 feet with them ! Sounds kinda fishy too me but who knows ?
Its true I currently own and love my tree lounge. I just bought a new one this year I had the very first model and it was way to heavy. They have since re-designed it to be much lighter. As far as the tree tapering problem as you climb, they have a angle adjuster that will level you stand as you climb higher. Check it out http://www.treelounge.com/angle.htm

Quick Reply: Climbing TreeStand Problems !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.