Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 100 or 125 grain >

100 or 125 grain

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

100 or 125 grain

Old 07-11-2005, 09:26 AM

Default 100 or 125 grain

I know the 125 grain adds more punch but why do so many people differ from 125 and 100. I guess it seems most use 100 but what are some of the advantages and disadvanteages of both?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 100 or 125 grain

It's really the same debate as carbon vs aluminum arrows IMO. One weighs more and carries more KE through the entire shot, however at the cost of speed and trajectory. The lighter arrow travels faster and flatter, but looses KE faster and therefore inherently doesn't penetrate as well. I believe it boils down to personal preference based upon the type of bow you're shooting, the game you're hunting, and how far your effective range is.

I shot aluminum arrows with 125 grain tips for years and years and years and never had a problem with them. However, I wanted to increase my accuracy and speed at a little bit further distances (in my case, out to 30-35 yards) so last year I made the switch to 100 grain heads and a faster bow - but kept my aluminum arrows. I punched 2 arrows clean through 2 deer and had them stick in the ground afterwards. Being happy with those results, I have now switched to a lighter a/c/c for this season in hopes of once again increasing my accuracy down range any hopefully not sacrificing too much KE and penetration. The choice is ultimately up to you as to what best suits your shooting ability and gives you the results you're looking for.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Far too amny people simply pick up a pack of 100 grain broadheads without ever stopping to think about their set up. A 125 grain head may very well give them better arrow flight and penetration than a 100 grain head but they got 100 grians on the brain.

Also manufacturers when they come out with a new head the first one they make will be a 100 grain head and many times will be the only weight ofered inthat partivular head. Such as the NAP nitron.

Another thing is that Americans are of the mindset that faster has to be better no matter what.25 grains is not going to make a whoopty bit if difference in trajectory, KE, or momentum. But it could make a noticible differance in the way the arrow actually flys.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:10 AM

How will an extra 25 make the arrow fly better?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

realmfg,

Go to the technical forum and read my post about "Explain this (broadhead experiments)". I shoot Easton XX75's in a 2315 and 125gr field tips. This is a classic setup and the field tipped arrows are wickedly accurate - I mean, I have almost Robin Hooded an arrow at 20 yards. I've torn fletchings and busted nocks many times at that range. A 100gr field tip will fly good too, but will fly a just a hair higher than the 125gr field tip. Broadheads will be a completely different story (as you will see in the post in the technical forum). Some 125gr broadheads will fly low. Some will fly great. There's too many variables involved.... I don't have a degree in physics! [:-] After a process of elimination, I have found that out of my old bow, I can shoot 125gr field tips dead on accurate, right in the bullseye at both 20 yards and 30 yards. The 100gr Magnus Stingers (even though they are 100 grain) fly amazingly accurate and also hit the same exact point as my 125gr field tips! My 125gr Thunderheads still fly just a hair low (no big deal - I mean we're now talking less than 1/2" if that...)

Basically you have to consult arrow charts, KE tables, etc... and find the right combo for your setup, I would guess. Good luck!

Butch A.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:21 AM

I shoot 100 grain broadheads and points because my arrows are right on the cusp of being undersplined. The 125 grain heads would make them undersplined. The 100 grain heads tune perfectly out of my setup so thats why I use them.

A lot of time you will see that the same model head in different weights has a different cutting diameter. This is important to some, not to others.

I used to shoot Thunderhead 125 grain broadheads for years and never complained about them. I have not had any problems shooting 100 grain heads either. Once again, this question all boils down to personal preferance and your setup.

Hopefully this post won't open a can of worms. Ooops, too late!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:23 AM

Ok since I will have a ligh setup of around 367-380 are 125s right for me how do i know. I know shoot them both but should the 125 go on the lighter arrow for hunting?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:57 AM

You should use the same weight point for practice and hunting or your point of impact will be different. Try both weight points and tune your bow. Use whichever it likes best. Field points are only around $5/dozen so its some cheap testing.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

How will an extra 25 make the arrow fly better?
The 25 grains will change how your shaft bends as the string accelerates it foward. If you have a very stiff arrow shaft then adding weight to the front of the shaft will essentially weaken the spine of the arrow. This could result in a better tune and tighter groups.

Download Eastons tuning guide and read it. It has far too much information for me to post here. It will explain how things like tip weight can effect the flight of your arrows.

As far as which one you need it would depend on your draw weight, draw length, arrow length, how much energy the bow stores (how quickly it accelerates the arrow) & spine of the shaft.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

last year I used 125 gn expandables. they worked great. This year I'm changing to 100 grn. ONLY because that's what my hunting buddy uses and I like to be able to interchange some things with him in case of an "emergency".

Quick Reply: 100 or 125 grain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.