Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Dogs on my property >

Dogs on my property

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dogs on my property

Old 09-23-2002, 05:44 AM

Default Dogs on my property

I went for a walk this weekend on my property, A rottwieler
came out of the woods right at me.
Also there are beagles and one mangy looking lab.
Is it legal to shoot them on my property?

I shot the rottwieler. It was coming at me. I was a little scared.
It was foaming at the mouth and coming at me.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:49 AM

Default RE: Dogs on my property

all states have a leash law. if you feel threatned or if you have livestock that may be threatned you have the right to kill them. i had been advised by the county sherrif it is a good idea to call them and tell them of the problem. they will most likely handle it for you

hunt on hunt hard eat well
Old 09-23-2002, 06:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-25-2002, 07:44 PM

It is law to keep them leashed in NY, it is however, not permitted to shoot them if you see them in the woods, even if it IS on your property.

In the case of the Rott, you are ok. All you really have to do is be able to articulate that you feared for your personal safety, or the personal safety of another person in immediate danger. It is also legitimate to shoot in defense of "domestic animals". It sounds to me like that Rott put you in a reasonably fearful state of mind. I am an experienced dog handler, and even I may have shot that dog.

Just remember, even your own dog could wander off. Would you want a hunter to shoot it if it was seen in the woods?

I'll take good luck over skill any day!
Old 09-25-2002, 08:09 PM

I have had dog problems in the past theres a saying here among ranchers when it comes to dogs, " shoot em, bury em and shut up"
Good luck with your problem.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:34 PM

King Hugh,
I agree 100% with what you said. I have always had dogs, mainly Border Collies. They try to heard anything that moves (mainly my 2 year old) and I know that if I was out walking and he hopped over a gate like he tends to and he was shot I would be most upset. But if the dog was foaming at the mouth and coming at me I would ask questions later. We had a saying in England... Be kind to your 4 legged friend. And treat him like he's your brother. Be kind to your 4 legged friend. Cos she might be somebody's mother.

BTB

X-Pat Brit Livin the good life in NC
Old 09-25-2002, 10:36 PM

Several years ago I used to be on a lease in East Texas and we had wild dogs on the property that would run in packs and would run down deer. It was a standing rule on the lease to kill all dogs that were seen. We killed lots of them, but we kept getting more because we bordered a highway and people would kick the dog out when they got tired of them and the dog would eventually turn wild. You couldn't get close to them and they would run in packs that would be dangerous to anyone that they came across.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

I'm with Wiley on this one. I hunt in a county where it is illegal to hunt deer with dogs however it is legal in the county next to us. The "doggers" as we call them will intentionally turn their dogs out in our county so they would run the deer over to their county. We drop everyone we see.

As for dogs running loose, IT IS THE OWNERS RESPONSIBILITY to keep the dog up. I have 3 dogs of my own. I spent over $800 putting up a chain link fence to keep mine from running loose. My dogs are part of my family and would do most anything to take care of them.

If you let your dog run loose then in my opinion it's fair game. If the dog means anything to you at all then keep it put up.

Shane
Old 09-26-2002, 06:36 AM

sounds like it time to implement a DOG PACK MANAGEMENT plan. Here is my plan, maybe it will work for you.

First year - shoot every dog you see.
Second year - shoot every dog you see.
Third year - shoot every dog you see.
and so on.

Use this plan and you should keep those dog numbers within reason.

AH
Old 09-26-2002, 09:46 AM

Freind is a goose guide along Colorado river. Had a group of Korean guys that wanted to do a coyote/bobcat shoot. Did it in 100+ degrees and shot both. After hunt they wanted my buddy to gut and skin the animals for the cooler! He refused and they did it themselves claiming it was all great eating. Just invite some of these guys to your place for a dog hunt. I bet rottwieler and beagle taste just as good and you should eat what you shoot. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Dogs on my property

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.