Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would this be wrong and or illegal? >

Would this be wrong and or illegal?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would this be wrong and or illegal?

Old 07-11-2005, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would this be wrong and or illegal?

Do you know how long your state considers a farm hog a feral hog? If its been in the wild for 2 weeks or more I believe its feral, and you can kill it with bow or gun. Double check though.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:02 AM

It would be great practice with your bow for sure, and the meat should be fine eating. Its not hunting, I don't think its illegal and I'd do it if I were you.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:01 AM

The pig is not state property, its your buddys. Chalk another one for BBQ.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Your buddy has the right to slaughter the pig any way he seems fit, it belongs to him not the state, have some fun go after him and then have a BBQ. Farmers have a right to do what they wish with their animals, they are personnel property, you get the state involved it will only cause problems. But by all means do your reaserch on your own then go pig hunting. Eat some tenderloins for me.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:46 AM

you got another vote for the BBQ
Old 07-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Feral hogs are not covered under the Illinois Game Code so you could go ahead and "hunt" it with your bow.

Ask yourself first, are you doing it to enjoy the experience of the hunt, or are you like so many youngsters, just out going out to kill something. There is a huge difference.

If you go ahead and kill it, better keep your mouth shut or the be kind to animals people will raise cane. It is possible you may also be charged with animal cruelty if the animal is not dispatched in a humane manner.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Feral pigs(domestic stock gone wild) are free targets in most states. You'd have to check your state regs. That's really all these pigs are running all over Florida and the South. They're just the bloodline relatives of domestic stock gone wild.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. This pig is his, it's not feral. It's definitely not the thrill of the kill, I hate killing, and always will. I love the hunt. This pig might as well be a wild hog, if it sees you, it's gone. Im not sure about smell, it may run if it smells you, Im not sure. But it's definitely not a pet.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:40 PM

as long as its not fenced in i think its right. if it is his hog its his right to kill it
Old 07-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know anything about hog hunting because we don't really havewild hogs in Iowa, but I was always under the impression that wild hogswere treated like coyotewith a continuous season and no bag limits, with some states even going so far as to mandate shooting feral hogs on sight.Is this true?

As far as your friends hog isconcerned, since it's his propertyhe should be able to dispose of it as he pleases. I have several relativeswhoare hog farmers who take sickdeformed pigs outand shoot them in the head with a .22. Why would tracking down and shooting an escapeddomestic hog with a bow be really any different?

Mike

Quick Reply: Would this be wrong and or illegal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.