Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A Hunter's Conscience >

A Hunter's Conscience

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Hunter's Conscience

Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A Hunter's Conscience

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I notice that treestands and mechanical releases weren't mentioned in Jack's tirade. So, obviously, there is a level of "cheating" he's comfortable with.
I don't view treestands or releases as cheating at all. If you look at things that way then anything other then your bare hands is cheating.........and I guess you would have to be naked as well.
There is a nation of people that I have been tempted to bring into debates like this that set as high a standard as the one you have described. They think anyone who doesn't hunt their way is a coward.

There's always someone bigger.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Traits of Good Character

1. Trustworthiness
2. Respect
3. Responsibilty
4. Fairness
5. Caring
6. Citizenship

I know hunting has taught and reinforced all of these traits in my personal/sociallifeand when something in my personal hunting doesn't adhere to these traits that's when I feel I need to make a change. It's never my place to judge another even though I do at times. If this site has taught me one thing, its been that we get no where treating others poorly. We could all get a lot fruther in our discussions if we enter everything with an open mind, control or EMOTIONS (happiness, sadness, fear, anger, love, empathy, sympathy, anxiety, jealousy) and discuss, debate an be able toagree to disagree. We don't have to like what others do, yet putting others down will never be productive. It's a waste of time period.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Spend a day in the field with me and then judge my ethics and methods. Until that time comes JR your rant is just another opinion with no basis in fact where I am concerned.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:43 PM

Were those his last words. I would rather have my last words be meaningful or inspiring. But I guess you live a life of bullsh-t then you die in it.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awwwwe , another one of those warm and fuzzy , hunters uniting , motivational threads.

How charming
Old 07-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Jacko,

Can you be more specific about the things that are and aren't ethical? Maybe you could enlighten more of us...........
You are missing the point.
It's not to define what is ethical or not or what is right or wrong.
My contention is any normal person already knows.
They want to do it any way and the know it's wrong already but they want the excuse to rationalize what they already know darn well is cheating.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jsasker

Sooooooo now we are all gonna sit here and judge JACK?Jack,i think you'll add alot of excitement to this forum--you sure know what buttons to push.You don't know anyone that goes by the handle c903 do you?[8D]
Nope, I don't.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I notice that treestands and mechanical releases weren't mentioned in Jack's tirade. So, obviously, there is a level of "cheating" he's comfortable with.
What am I suppose to do? List every contivance from the time man picked up the first rock to nukes?

I'll spell it out for you. Those were examples. Chosen just because they are the most common discussed.

If those items YOU mentioned were considered to be cheating by nearly ANYONE they would not serve your purpose to exagerate and dilute the topic. Just the fact NOBODY HAS EVER come on here asking if ANY of YOUR mentioned items was ethical or not proves the point.

People know when they are cheating. They want to cheat any way. They come soliciting at the very least an "implied" permission from the hunting community and they get it with those BS comments like "If it's legal..." Well down in Texas....

Bull, if you feel the need to ask. You already know.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

The problem is where do you draw the line? When is it ethical, when is it cheating? By cheating I would assume you mean poaching, and there are laws for that. If you don't agree with them then try to get them changed. I agree with some of the others, who decided you were the one that chooses what is ethical or cheating for someone else? Oh, you did I guess, I certainly didn't bestow that burdon on you.
No I don't define cheating by what is illegal.

I define it by what you know is right and wrong and I've not made any intentional attempt to define what those things are beyond stipulating that most sane people know what those are. They may be different from one specific situation to another.

What I believe is not different is people and the way they will address it.

Cheaters will cheat and they will look for ways to excuse it when caught or when their conciense bothers them.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

It's what drives them to come here and ask questions about hunting over a pile of corn or shooting deer from a double decker bus. They pay people to pen up a big one in a cage, shoot it and then come to the boards trying to rationalize it.

They are cheating. They know it, we know it. Everyone else know's it. When they are sitting in the living room stareing at a big taxidermy bill and downing another beer trying to feel better about it, they look at that mount and see a big bait pile, a truck or the dollar signs in the guide's eyes as he is screaming "Shoot you green a$$ idiot!"

Just look at the trophy pictures at Hunt101 or Jesse's. How many "trophy" pictures do you see with a the big bait pile they have to thank in front? How many tour bus's in the back round? How many times you think they are dragging that deer away from the fence to "get a better picture"?

They are cheats and liars. They come here asking about it because they are cheats and liars and they know they are. They want the forgiveness of hunters sayin it is OK and a little pat on the back from momma.

If they weren't, the question would never even come up.
Kiss my a$$!!!

There, someone needed to say it...

Quick Reply: A Hunter's Conscience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.