Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A Hunter's Conscience >

A Hunter's Conscience

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Hunter's Conscience

Old 07-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: A Hunter's Conscience

Before this thread gets locked..... can someone post the link for one of those Double Decker Air Conditioned Shooting Tower Buses. That sounds a whole lot more comfortable than an API at 20 feet.[&:]
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well jack sure got the sh1t to hit the fan!

Maybe we should take a little more open minded look at some of these issues.

Comparing baiting to a food plot is just plain dumb, a food plot of less than an acre is not worth planting most are many acres.the food plot is there all winter after the season is over and deer can go into a food plot from any direction .

The kill a deer any way possible attitude really needs to change.With all the gadgets & gimicks.We as hunters seem to have lost a lot of the resepect for the deer we hunt.I am not against using equipment to make our hunts safer and more enjoyable but some really push this to the limit.To fence deer in a pen and than say you are hunting them is just wrong, you may be killing them but are hardly hunting them.Shooting deer out of a truck is another thing that just does not seem ethical,If you are handicaped and have the proper permits then good for you.But for an able bodied man to ride around on roads and shoot a deer is not deer hunting ,it too is deer killing.

As the voting shows more of you out there think hunting over bait is ok , but somethings are just not right. Here in PA we have people that bait too , we call them poachers!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:40 AM

HNIJustin my point is, I can easily tear down his "ethical" unless he hunts pure traditional on public land on the grouns with clothes he wove from natural fibers.

in light of that, can we all say hypocritical ?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hypocritical.......Jack it's your turn
Old 07-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey everybody! Bow season is just around the corner! In a couple of months or so we can go out and do it over bait or not over bait. Fences or no fences. We are all hunters so we can disagree but not get personal about it (too much).
Old 07-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good God, what in the world happend here? I read all through these threads, and my first reaction was

Please do not lump me into some category about bait piles or high fences or double decker buses (what, are we hunting in England?!? )

I am a public land hunter and have to fend for myself and work hard for any game animals that might happen to venture my way.... As far as a conscience, I believe in the most quickest, fastest, most ethical shot to harvest a deer. Last season I remember watching a teeny tiny yearling doe come not even 25 yards from my stand. Did I shoot her? No. I couldn't.... She was just a little bitty thing and would be like shooting someone's dog. That's how tiny she was. I chose to let her pass in hopes her daddy would be strolling nearby. It was good practice on being quiet, still, and just watching her walk by. She never knew I was 22' up in a Summit Viper tree stand! [8D]

When I finally get my chance to bag a trophy, it will have been very hard earned. I will most likely end up kneeling down beside it and thanking God. To me - that is what hunting is all about. The originator of this whole thread needs to understand that.

{gets off soapbox}
Butch A.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I notice that treestands and mechanical releases weren't mentioned in Jack's tirade. So, obviously, there is a level of "cheating" he's comfortable with.

I don't view treestands or releases as cheating at all. If you look at things that way then anything other then your bare hands is cheating.........and I guess you would have to be naked as well.
Hey atlasman... Note the quotation marks I put around the word "cheating". I was using Jack's word, not mine. Ever heard of "sarcasm"?

But, you see, there is a bit of irony buried in my comment as well. That someone could use every technological advantage in other aspects of his hunting, and/or plants food plots within shooting distance of his favorite stand sites, would balk at something as mundane as setting out a few feeders on his property... where legal, of course.... Something about that just sounds a bit disengenuous to me.

For myself, I've never made any secret of the fact that I prefer using a recurve or longbow for my hunting. I don't much care for using release aids, even for target shooting. In fact, if there's one gadget I wouldn't mind seeing limited only to the handicapped, the mechanical release is it. Just my opinion.

Top all that off with the fact that I've never hunted from a treestand in my life. I like being eye to eye with the animals I hunt.

I prefer from going out and finding my quarry -actually hunting for it. And when I do find it, I'm planning my approach, taking wind and cover into account; then stalking to within 20 yards, which is generally my sure kill range with my stickbow. Then I face the challenge of getting into position to draw my bow and get the shot off while remaining undetected... THAT, my friend, is my idea of what it really means to go hunting with a bow.

If you've never done it that way, you can't imagine the adrenaline rush you get when that arrow hits home. All the mistakes and just plain bad luck you've had on dozens of other stalks are forgotten and your hard work has paid off. That's what makes it special.

No, I don't take a lot of deer doing it my way, but the satisfaction I get when it does work out right makes it all worthwhile. I have pitted my woodsmanship skills against the animal's defenses and won. If I just wanted meat, it's a lot easier - and a lot cheaper - to go hunting for meat in the supermarket.

Sitting on my butt in a treestand, with a compound, sights, mechanical release and an arrow I'm slinging so fast I can use one pin out to 40 yards.... Well, I just couldn't do it. I'd be bored to tears within a half hour.

By the way, I have had many opportunities in early October here in Texas to go deer hunting wearing nothing but a pair of cutoffs and sneakers. No, I wasn't naked, but I wasn't far from it. Of course, I was doing that in the days when I was much younger and not so visually unpleasant as I am now.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack
The guys who start those type of threads are the guys who dont like those methods and are trying to pick a fight with the other side. There just trying to stir the pot.
Datamax is a ''cheater''? Sorry I couldn't resist!
Old 07-11-2005, 01:31 PM

zak123 - I'm hunting naked this fall with a hand chipped flint spear head mounted on a hickory stick I chewed the bark off of

top that you ethics police !!

Old 07-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

when I was much younger and not so visually unpleasant as I am now.

The more I read here,the madder I got . Till I came to Arthurs line above. I gotta go change underwear now!!!!

Quick Reply: A Hunter's Conscience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.