HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How Far Would you shoot at An Animal? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/104193-how-far-would-you-shoot-animal.html)

BIG EON 06-29-2005 10:00 AM

How Far Would you shoot at An Animal?

I would Never take a shoot outside of 40yrds

so lets see what your range is??

Rick James 06-29-2005 10:30 AM

RE: How Far Would you shoot at An Animal?

It all depends. Up until last year I never shot over 30 yards. Last year I had a doe standing at 42 paces (I guessed 40) with her head down eating acorns, completely unaware of anything and very calm. I took her through both lungs and hit her exactly where I wanted to and she fell less than 50 yards from where she was hit. If I was in an open field, had known yardage, and was shooting at a relaxed deer that was feeding with it's head down I would be tempted to shoot out to 50 yards, but that is only because I practice 99% of the time at that distance. I only shoot 20, 30, and 40 to make sure the pins are on and while shooting 3D. My 50 yards groups can be pulled all at the same time with one hand at least half the time, and are 99% of the time 4" or smaller at that distance. I only miss the spot on a morrell bag maybe 1 out of every 10-15 shots and it's usually pretty(curse word edited out)close when not in the spot.

I would say unless under perfect conditions as described above, I would keep shots under 35 yards, however under the rare "perfect conditions" I would shoot out to 50.

Beagle001 06-29-2005 10:36 AM

40 but no farther and conditions must be perfect, little wind, calm deer, open shot

shtr. 06-29-2005 11:04 AM

I voted at my outside range but there are lots of factors that might have me answering the question at 1/2 of what I voted;)
There are times when a 50 yrd. shot would be a slam dunk and other times when a 10yrd. would be risky[&:]

bwhuntr 06-29-2005 11:29 AM

I agree with most of you. for a shot out at 40yds, the condtions have to be perfect. I guess it would depend on the terrain and the possibility of any other shots as the deer moves. I frankly do not like shooting past 30 though.

ButchA 06-29-2005 12:18 PM

I agree with others.... 30-35 is my comfortable range. I cando 40, but it is a stretch and not always 100% dead on accurate.

Butch A.

Buckhunter 17 06-29-2005 12:32 PM

for me it depends on how big the animal is. last year i never shot over 25 yards. but if it is a monster buck and i know he isn't coming any closer...i will probably take the shot if it's offered.

Zach

BigJ71 06-29-2005 01:24 PM

40 is pretty much my limit. I believe I can kill outside of thatbut the kill percentage starts to go down past that yardage...for me at least.

I (for the most part) don't put myself in that type of position and most of my bow hunting stands don't have that long of shooting lanes. I figure if I don't put myself in thatposition, thetemptation for me to take longer shots won't be there.

ash2042 06-29-2005 01:33 PM

35 yards is tops for me

DaveH 06-29-2005 02:04 PM

It used to be 30 yards. But now I practice regularly out to 60+ yards and feel very confident about taking a 40 yard shot under perfect circumstances. I did shoot a big doe last year at 40 yards. She only made it 40-50 yards and then fell straight over.