Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hw do i FIND MY FPS >

Hw do i FIND MY FPS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hw do i FIND MY FPS

Old 07-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hw do i FIND MY FPS

If you use PABowhntr's calculations you will come up with a speed as if you were shooting through a crono.

Now I believe if you use davidmill's calculation's you will get the downrange speed which will be a lower number
I'm not sure.....but I believe you're wrong. I think if you go ahead and shoot through a machine and then do it my way you'll arrive at or near the very same speed. I believe this table was based on gravity, arrow drop etc etc to calculate intial speed. Then again, I could be wrong. I did it with a bow a few years ago and it came out right. However, that was a different table that I've lost. It was based on 20 and 40 yard shots.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe this table was based on gravity, arrow drop etc etc to calculate intial speed.
That is what calculating the speed of my site is based on. And I've done it their way and through a crono and got a 30fps difference on one chrono and 40 on the other. I used 2 diff chrono's.

http://www.savagearchery.com/qanda.html
Old 07-10-2005, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Guss

Ok, its not easy but this is what ya have to do. Set up a target the size of a VW bug, then get in your truck and drive 100 yards down range. 100 yards =300ft and that is what you will be shooting around, now shoot and count 1 mississsippi, 2 mississsippi. If it takes 1 second to get there then you are shooting 300 ft per second.

I am not serious, I have no idea how to do it with out a crono. [:-]
Thats toooooooo Funny
Old 07-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't know if it matters but my observations.

I just got back from the range, results,

using the directions for finding my speed with my site.http://www.savagearchery.com/qanda.html
my speed in actual huntig conditions according to the site manufacturer was 239 fps.By moving my pin with a calibrated yardage gizmo it automaticaly compensates for things that happen down range(for loss of terminology).

However I chronoed my bow and the results were:

245 with the chrono right in front of the Bow, the way it supposed to be done.

I put the chrono 4' in front of the target and results were,

29 yds. 238 fps.
30 yds. 226 fps.

didn't want to shoot at 40 cause I didn't want to mess up a new toy.

These are just my observations with my set up as of now.

For the heck of it, my last shot at 30 yds with my site set at 20 yds was 8" low which according to your scale I'd be one happy sob.

I believe if I had taken the shot from 40 yds., now after rereading your post I would have gotten a closer read.
Like I said this isn't to bash anyone only an observation, But with all my calculations PaBowhunter's system came pretty damn close if not gright on. But I was averaging the 3-4 to 3.5 etc.

So it all goes to show,
Speed is in the mind ofthe Bowholder.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

On a side note.
Things were fun and easy just picking up my recurve and shooting instinctively at 20 yds into a target, not knowing anything about spine, speed or form. Just put em in the bullseye. Then came the pulleys which I still shot with fingers, then came the switch to a release, then came THIS SITE When will it all end.

I Love it.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Then came the pulleys which I still shot with fingers, then came the switch to a release, then came THIS SITE When will it all end.
It never will. There is always something new out there to try. I find that it tends to keep things in perspective.