Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Learn to shoot around your peep site >

Learn to shoot around your peep site

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Learn to shoot around your peep site

Old 06-23-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Learn to shoot around your peep site

Thanks for the info.
But that is just another reason I use the No-Peep
Old 06-23-2005, 06:40 AM

Let me add ............ when I shot compounds I think being cross dominant actually HELPED my shooting.

Why ?

it forces you to concentrate. Like HuntingBry said, lapse your concentration and your dominant eye takes over and you look on the outside of the peep instead of through it (for me anyway) and the arrows go from 2" groups to 10" flyers in a hurry !!
Old 06-23-2005, 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: datamax

adams - the vast majority of the population is cross dominant - shooting with both eyes open and trying to use/not use the peep would create sighting nightmares

I know, I've been there !
I've got to disagree. Yes, it can cause nightmares but it dosen't have to. I shoot right handed and am left eye donimant. I had to train myself to shoot the way I do. It is almost as if I have consciously changed my dominant eye when I have my bow in my hand. Do I sometimes get crossed up? Yes, but all it takes to get focused back with my right eye looking through my peep is a blink of my left eye. By blinking I can "gain control" of what I'm seeing, which is my pin inside the peep hole and the "entire picture" through my left eye. I can't guarentee it'll work for everyone but I see no reason why it can't.

A lot of the reason I became a bow hunter (before I got hooked) is I am a lowsy shot with a gun. My left eye dominant caused me to miss more then mature animal. Inexperience may have also played into it but with the amount of misses I racked up in my early years I'm all but certain it was a cross dominant issue.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

why not drop the peep then and never have to worry about it ?
My thoughts exactly. Here's a post I replied to about this very subject some time ago. Scroll down a bit... a pic or two will be found there to help visualize a method I've found to work perfectly, even in fading light situations.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=717166&mpage=1&key=%F2%AF%AF%96

adams - the vast majority of the population is cross dominant - shooting with both eyes open and trying to use/not use the peep would create sighting nightmares

I know, I've been there !
Not always so. I am left eye dominant, yet shoot archery equipment right handed. I also shoot with both eyes open. It can be done, and without the need to estimate windage variations. Ishoot a rifle or handgun left handed, without issue, using only my dominant left eye to aquire the mark.As with any other aspect inexcelling at archery, concentration is key. Shooting well without a peeprevolves around maintaining the proper sight picture combined withsolid shooting form, regardless of what eye you use.

Edited 'cause I boogered up the link... hopefully it will work now. [8D]