Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 young new hunter needs advice >

young new hunter needs advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

young new hunter needs advice

Old 06-13-2005, 01:34 PM

Default young new hunter needs advice

hello every1 i am a 12 year old girl and have been hunting with my dad for the last 3 years. I finally have a bow of my own, browning micro midas 3, and i am looking 4all kinds of advice and tips. We hunt 160 acres of private land in nothern MI, we have a ground blind and also use a 2 man ladder stand which i like.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: young new hunter needs advice

my advise would be
stay close to your dad,
and hunt with him as much as possible,
experience will teach you more than anyone could.
hunting also includes off season activities, such as practicing, scouting etc....
Old 06-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Terasec

my advise would be
stay close to your dad,
and hunt with him as much as possible,
experience will teach you more than anyone could.
hunting also includes off season activities, such as practicing, scouting etc....
very very true. just being out in the woods as much as you can will help alot. when i was that age i would spend a good bit of my summer out in the woods just looking around and looking for sign. be sure to practice and pay attention to your dad... he'll help alot.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:52 PM

glad to see young girl like youself intrested in hunting, my little girl is 5 and already wants to go out hunting, you can learn alot about hunting with your father,I make games with my girl out in the woods with finding tracks, or diffrent types of trees ,what deer like to eat their is alot of differnt info you can learn iam 34 and iam still learing, it will make you a better hunter, and learn to respect the wild , well good luck this year!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

I would agree with hunting with your dad or older brother or something if you have one. I started hunting(gun) at about age 8 and my dad was kind enough to take me with him a lot, and let me be by his side. I learned a lot from him, a ton. Eventually i started by myself when i was about twelve. Im 18 now, and i have learned many do's and dont's from many mistakes. Now i feel i am a great hunter, but it took a lot of time to learn how to do things right. I have had two great seasons in a row, but before that i blew so many oppurtunities it was crazy, while having some success also. main thing is to be patient. If you can sit in the same spot all day, then the chances of you seeing a deer is pretty high if your in the right area. My favorite spot to hunt is a fenceline along a feild edge that has a high way at the end of it. A lot of deer come through there to get a across the road and a pond in the middle of it helps. Use a treestand if you can and you will see more deer, and shoot year around(i wish i would of did that when younger). Go all day if you got the chance, and in the evenings on school days. another important thing is being able to judge distance. i am poor at that, so i decided it is time to get a rangefinder, but if you cant know your distances from your treestand so you can judge the distance easier when a deer comes along. other side notes: shoot a good bow if possible, dont cough in the woods, dont bring in smelly food, always look around and behind you, get in the woods early(so important), and when hunting in the evening stay in late, ive seen many deer right when it was about to get dark.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:15 AM
Fork Horn

AllyKat,
Welcome to the board! I would also suggest to listen to everything your Dad has to say, also any Uncles or Aunts that might hunt also. Bring all of your questions to them and here to the board.
Good luck,
nselvis
Old 06-19-2005, 12:18 AM

Everything said so far is good advice.

My advice, frequent this forum, read everything, and ask questions. If you don't understand something someone says, ask. Thereis no such thing as astupid question. We were all new once.