Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question for all you elk and mule deer hunters >

question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

Old 06-12-2005, 02:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

how far is your normal archery shot at one of these big critters, i have been reading and seeing that its like 50 to 60 yards is that true. also how far is the normal rifle shot just wondering. thanks for the help.
marshall
Old 06-12-2005, 06:19 AM

Default RE: question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

I shot at one bull at 6 yards, drew 3 times on a bull at 12 yards .... and of the 7-8 bulls I've taken maybe 1 was over 20 yards and not by much.

I could have shot 50-60 yards at them if I'd wanted to I guess .......... the whole "shoot farther out west" thing is baloney
Old 06-12-2005, 07:07 AM

I wouldn't consider taking a 50-60 yd shot on an elk with my bow. Bow season here is during rut, you can get them to come in close - most shot opportunities I've had are under 15 yds.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

the whole "shoot farther out west" thing is baloney
Oh really, tell us how many antelope and mule deer you have gotten with in 20 yards to!!
Elk yes, antelope and mule deer NO!

Best advice I can give, is prepare yourself with lots of practice. Know [u]your[u] range limit and stay with in it. If the shot arises at 50 yards, will you be ready to take it. If it happens to be 5 yards, will you be ready to take it!
Old 06-12-2005, 07:32 AM

The point of bowhunting is to see how close you can get. 50 is a long way with a bow. Most of my shoots with a rifle were not that far.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Howler has a good point, the average shot on a mule deer is 39 yards according to studies. Elk shots are much closer though. I have never had to shoot over 20 yards at an elk. If you decide to hunt antelope over a water hole. Your shots will be whatever you set your blind from the water hole at, unless you a doing spot and stalk on them, then the shots could be much further. I wouldn't take a whole lot of time practicing abnormal distances, however I would take the time to know where your limits are. I can judge yardage very well, however you still will find me in the field with a range finder around my neck.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

data,
i dont agree with that farther out west is baloney. ya, sometimes the bull comes right in. i will not pass up a 50 yard shot at an elk or muley. i regularly practice to 60 yards. under the right circumstances i would take that shot too. a buddy of mine has taken elk out to 80 with archery. my dad has taken muleys out to 70. i have taken muleys out to 70. i have seen very few wounds at these distances, at least 97% of the wounded animals i have seen were under 30 yards.

on the rifle thing, i think 300 to 400 isnt too far. 300 is pretty common where im at. 325-350 is as far as ive personally shot, but i konw a lot of guys who shoot a lot farther than that.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

I practice up to 80yards with my bow I have taken elk at 20, 40,50 and a cow at 70 its simple you do the time with practice shoot at long distances to 80 the 40 and 50 seem like 10 . But the number one thing to shooting long distance is you have to know the correct yards a range finder is a must .

The rag horn I shot last year I stalked with in 12 yards of him only to have him spook when I drew I had already ranged the intire area so when he stoped at 50 to look back ( like its seems they always do if they dont get your wind) I punch him right threw the heart with a with a two bladed Magnus stinger that passed threw him and stuck in a Aspen on the other side. He went anthor 40 yards stoped looked backed and did the death swager.

I have a friend that shoots for team Hoyt in the field targets he can shoot better at a 100yds then most pepole can with a gun at a 100 off hand.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:39 AM

I have shot them from 12 feet to 35 yds with the average being around 25 to 35 yds. There have been many chances to shoot at 40 to 50 yds but I was carrying a stickbow so I never took the shots. I will take those shots this yr. I would carry a rangefinder, after 30 yds I don't care how fast your arrow flies, it drops quick. At 30 yards I am down 23". But at 40 the arrow is down 42", 50 down 65", and 60 its down 96". Easy to miss if your range estimation isn't right on.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow 70 or 80 yards, I'm sorry but that is just to far and risky IMO. Even with todays fastest bows a animal has plenty of time to turn or step foward after the arrow is released. What was a perfect broadside shot just turned to crap with a gut shot, all after the arrow is in flight. Also I would worry about how much KE I was loosing at that range, if a bone is hit that would only make it worse for a pass through and a good blood trail. The longest shot I have taken is 35 yards on a elk and 40 yards on a deer. I limit myself to 40 yards but I do practice out to 60 yards. Like elkcrazy8 my average shot at elk are under 20 yards. A hunter that shoots at big game animals over 60 yards on a regular basis is asking for trouble and will wound and loose animals sooner or later.

Quick Reply: question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.