Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Time spent scouting >

Time spent scouting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Time spent scouting

Old 06-14-2005, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Time spent scouting

I hunt more than I scout. I do some early season scouting but not a great deal. I do more of my scouting during the season than I do in the early season but I still hunt more than I scout.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:51 AM

I am unable to scout during the summer since I am on vacation. I would like to stay back, which I am doing next year, and scout. I am out on my land several hours on the weekend all year. This year, I have to find a spot on the other side of the land to hunt. I will spend several days clearing out a path to get back there, that is unless I can crank up the dump truck and the dozer and get buzy! Nah, I would rather do everything by hand. I will just take a machete with me when I go scouting.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the spots I hunt are small. They are a mix of trees, brush, and agrcultural fields. I try to stick to the outsides of the properties where the deer enter the fields. I usually hang my stands and do my scouting in Feb. - April. Then use a camera to do my scouting through the summer and I glass the fields. I try to stay out of the timber as much as possible during the summer months. The only time I'm out there is to move the cameras and mess around in the food plots. I think I almost enjoy scouting as much as hunting. Getting everything prepared and ready for the season is a blast for me. I would say that I probably spend as much time scouting as hunting through the course of a season.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't scout that much anymore because of the small size of the area I hunt and the fact that I have hunted that area for 20 years. Also, the area is five hours away from my home. I usually take a couple of long weekends in September to scout and prepare for the bow season start of 10/01.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

the area that i've been hunting the last few years i've been "scouting" most of my life. even with this fact i've still been finding new things and places to hunt. i do probably scout more than i hunt in some areas. whenever i go to kentucky i spend most of my time scouting and preparing areas. this will definately be true when i go up over the summer now that i have a whole nother farm to hunt.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:54 PM

After the season (especially if there is snow) I do a couple of days of scouting. Before the season I start around May and do a couple of days a week on my own property. Surrounding areas I more or less scout to see how the deer are moving and what their over all pattern is in relation to the 20 or so acres that I have. I would say it is about 4 to 1 scouting to hunting.