Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many acres do you hunt? >

How many acres do you hunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many acres do you hunt?

Old 06-12-2005, 09:10 AM

Default RE: How many acres do you hunt?

3 private properties.

250 acres with about 240 being big woods
100 acres with about 80 being crop fields
10 acres exclusively wooded
Old 06-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have two properties that I hunt. One consists of 160 acres 40 of it being field and most of it is completely surrounded by state land and the other is 167 acres that has probably 40 acres total of 3 farm fields spread out over the property. The first property is bordered by a lot of popple thickets and big woods, not many deer but still a challenge to hunt. The second is property that has been in my family for almost 100 years and it is very diversified between its thick swamps and oaks, it is very close to home and has a pretty good population of deer. We just had both properties cut within the last 3 years and it seems to be paying off along with the food plots we have planted.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:53 PM

How many private land acres do you have permission / access to?

How many of those acres do you have exclusive permission on?

How would the acreage break down? Ex. How many acres of the properties are fields, woods etc etc.
I have access to approximately 6500 acres of private land to hunt on here in my state.

Of those I have exclusive permission on approximately 3140 acres.

It breaks down to 498 acres family farm...2200 acres friend of family... 400 acres uncles farm... 40 acres a gentleman I work with. These acreages I have exclusive rights to hunt... I allow a my brother,sister, and a couple close friends to hunt these w/ me. The rest I share rights with other local hunters. The small 40 acre patch is however one that only my brother and I hunt and is restricted to bowhunting only and is one in which we have taken some of our larger bucks off of.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW.... I can't believe the size of properties most of you guys get to hunt! PLENTY of land to kill mature deer consistently!! Properties around here mostly consist of 20 to 100 acres of "huntable cover" (no need to count tillable) and generally each tract is shared by other hunters. I hunt several properties but only have exclusive access to our own tract of just less than 100 acres of timber, it's bordered by 280 acres of CRP and beyond that.... hundreds of acres of corn. Outfitters and high dollar leases make the workin' man hunts nearly impossible these days! Good luck to all of in keeping what you have!
Old 06-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have permission on a few local farms that are all in the 140 - 200 acre range. I have permission to a couple more smal (5-10 acres) wooded areas that have a LOT of deer travelling through them at times. These small areas are in the middle of much bigger lands and are adjacent to farm fields.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

the public places i hunt range from probably 20,000 acres to 60,000 but don't quote me on that...it's way up there.
my dad n law also has a 150 acres but i only hog hunt out there a couple times a year.
this year we'll also be hunting a new lease in georgia that has 990acres...only 10hunters.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:25 PM

my Dad and I hunt 160 acres of pines and oaks>
Old 06-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

How many private land acres do you have permission / access to?
300 acres on two private farms.

How many of those acres do you have exclusive permission on?
Neither but limited access to both.

How would the acreage break down? Ex. How many acres of the properties are fields, woods etc etc.
Woods - 100 acres
Fields - 200
The mix is good as there are no very large fields just several meandering through the woods.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:49 PM

I have 20 acres of my own that I hunt, 16 acres of that is pretty much a food plot (hay) about 4 acres of that is a creek that winds through the back part of my property and then the house area is roughly 2 acres (the deer come around the house, but I prefer to just watch if they are near the house). My neighbor farms and he has 1000 acres of tillable land surounded by wooded area. Needless to say I have seen quite a few deer on my property, and have been planting tees along the border in an attempt to create a deer sanctuary.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:17 AM

I belong to a hunting club and we own (us & the bank) 2,400 acres in NW Arkansas. About 50 acres is fields, clearcuts, and food plots. About 600 acres has been logged out (>16" trees) over the past 3 years. Opened up the understory quite a lot. Another 900 acres is being logged over the next couple of years. We are turning a lot of logging staging areas into food plots. We're currently building a new camp house, reclaiming a 7 acre lake that has silted in over time, building another 5-6 acre lake, building some ponds and putting in more food plots.

We've got deer, bear, hogs, bobcat, coyotes (of course), and various small game. We have a self imposed 4Pts on one side rule.

firstshot
------------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Quick Reply: How many acres do you hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.