Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Iowa rut dates

Old 06-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Iowa rut dates

I am looking into hunting Iowa next archery season (if i am lucky enough to get drawn) and was just wondering when your rut normally peaks??
Old 06-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Iowa rut dates

i would say if you can be there any time between the second and third week are usually prime time as they say on the tv shows. i have seen peek rut in iowa usualy around the 14 or so. good luck hope you have some points i hear its hard to get drawn in iowa. good luck and shot straight.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not everyone has the same definition of what the rut is. Peak breeding time is supposedly the 18th of November. I would agree with mac87toy that I see the most buck movement in the first couple weeks of November.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys, got my fingers crossed that we get the tags
Old 06-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

This year my vacation starts November 5 and ends on the evening of the 13th. If the week proir survives the rest of the first round of vacation bids at work, I'll also take October 29th to November 5th off. The early part of November is the pre-rut. I don't know about anyone else, but I've seen way more bucks cruising and chasing Does in the pre-rut. When the Does become receptive the bucks don't have to move near as much. I'm also hunting Missouri this year and am waiting for the Rifle dates. I want to hunt the week prior to rifle season. Sorry about being so long winded. Hope this helps.