Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 climbing treestands? >

climbing treestands?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

climbing treestands?

Old 05-20-2005, 02:40 PM

Default climbing treestands?

i am interested in buying a climbing treestand. from the research that i have done so far, it seems that summit, olman, and lone seem to be the best. i wanted to know if anyone can help me decide which brand and which model to go with, or if anyone thinks any other company is better.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: climbing treestands?

Wow... Scan through this site on treestands, and you'll see all the opinions, comments, pros/cons of all the varieties.

Some people like Lone Wolf, others like Summit (me!), while others like Ol' Man. It all depends on what you are willing to spend and what terrain you will be hunting in.

I checked out a bunch of tree stands and kept coming back to the Summit Viper X4 climber. It was the most rugged, most lightest, most go-anywhere-go-anything, type of stand that I found.

Butch A.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i went through the same thing this last year and also decided on the summit viper x4. it's a very good stand for just about anything from what i've seen. the x4 definately gets my vote.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Dominant Buck

When will you grasshoppers learn? The Loggy is the best.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:14 PM

Loggy what?? Are we huntin in the swamps of Louisianna? LOL...

Last year, I got the API Grand Slam Extreme. I absolutely love it! I sat all day quite a few times, and it is very comfortable. My buddy has a Summit, and although it is nice, I'll take my API any day of the week. It is lighter to carry, easier to set up, and more comfortable. On top of that, Bass Pro has it on sale right now for $149. No way you'll get a Summit for that. The ONLY thing I wish it had was angled to braces instead of a bungee cord, but, the cord does work.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:50 PM

Yeah, the brand new loggy bayous are definitely worth a look.

I have last years XLT model and Im very happy with it. The new models have a few improvements including a better platform. Add them to the list to look at.

I recently bought a Loggy bayou illusion for my youngest brother and have to say its another quality Loggy product. The illusion stand should be perfect for bowhunting and its perfect for people who arent fond of heights and like a simple stand.....like my younger brother. Quiet, quick, simple and steady...what more can you ask for in a stand?

Buy a Loggy Bayou! You wont regret it!
Old 05-21-2005, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although most people rant and rave about the summit's. I don't care for my 04 cobra-x4 very much. I prefer my old API grand slam shooting star when it comes time to hunt.
If the API's are still made here (I'm pretty sure production went to china) they would get my vote. If not, Ole Man is the brand I will try next.

The summit I have doesn't pack well AT ALL. Maybe the collapsable version would be mo-betta? Lab Coat guy should have spent less time on coffee breaks when he designed my stand. He did such a sorry job on it they dropped it from production after 1 measly year off selling it. That tells you something right there. Jee, thanks labcoat guy[:'(].
Old 05-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well on my website I only have one company I advertise for and that is Summit. They don't pay me a dime and I don't put adds up for just any company, but Summits customer service, and quality are 2nd to none. I can not remember ever being so safe, secure and comfortable in a tree stand as I am in my Goliath, so I would say take a long hard look at Summit before you buy something else.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:24 AM

I've tried them all at some point and keep coming back to the Ol' Man...... They will climb a HUGE range of tree sizes and packing up flat is very important..... I love mine.....
Old 05-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe Summit made me a lemon, but they had to send me 2 tops to get one made right.
That's 2 in addition to the original one I purchased from Bass-Pro.
1 out of the three (3rd times a charm?) was made to correct specs, the other two were not.

They knew about the problem, but instead of pulling the product from the shelves and correcting it, they waited for the customer to figure out (while trying to assemble it= PIA) on his/her own that the parts didn't add up. Hoping (IMHO) that some people wouldn't call and question the mistake and just use it as is. I almost did, but curiosity got the better of me and I called them. They knew exactly what I was talking about before i finished describing the problem and explained the situation to me and had a new, yet still screwed up, top mailed to me. It was also a fluke part- now how does that happen????
"Here, we'll send you another one. Oh, it's screwed up to? Ok we'll send you another one"

Sorry to sound so sour, but I feel like the one guy who bought the honda accord with engine problems . Everybody loves summit, but I found myself knee deep in quality control issues from the word go. I had a new $230.00 stand I could not use as designed safely and had to wait another month before the issue was resolved.
On top of that, the sharp inside edges eat the plastic/rubber coating right off of the cables with very few uses. A file and five more minutes on the assembly line would cure that ill.

Had I bought the Viper or Goliath I might have a different opinion, but the cobra ruined Summit for me.

BTW 5 shot, love the broadhead test, always have.

Quick Reply: climbing treestands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.