Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What bait is best? >

What bait is best?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What bait is best?

Old 01-09-2002, 04:12 PM
Spike

Default RE: What bait is best?

I juust got back from putting out some sweet feed and a deer block. i covered both of these with molasses. i will probably go back tommorow and hunt this so i hope they find it by tommorow.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like someone is trying to lure a bear LOL!
Old 01-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Biologist will tell you that feeding only corn is not good for the deer. It does screw up their digestion and isn't really high in protein and other things they need.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:39 PM

Winter Deer Feeding in Wisconsin

Deer are adapted to winter
Deer adapt physiologically and behaviorally to survive the rigorous winters in our northern forest habitats of Wisconsin. From late December to late February, deer activity, movement, and feeding decrease. At this time they are utilizing their body fat reserves acquired on their summer and fall range. This is especially important since natural winter foods (browse) are less nutritious and less abundant than summer foods. Whether an individual deer is able to survive the winter depends largely on the deer's physical health going into winter, the severity and duration of winter, the amount of quality food available, and the amount of energy the animal uses.

Some deer, especially fawns and older deer, may die in any winter regardless of severity. Deer mortality among these age groups increases as the winter severity increases. These animals usually have insufficient amounts of stored energy (body fat), or are unable to find and compete with other deer for available food. The majority of deer, especially adult does, will survive even the harshest winter without the need for supplemental feeding. Occasional severe winters and deer losses are normal occurrences in northern areas of our state. In severe winters, most mortality occurs in March or April as their body fat is depleted.

How and Where to feed
Winter feeding does very little to help the regional deer herd survive the winter because most of the herd (as much as 70%) is inaccessible to feeding. However, it can benefit individual deer if done properly. If you intend to feed, you must DO IT RIGHT, OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL! Careful consideration should be given to feeding efforts prior to implementation. If done improperly, you can do more harm than good.

Feeding tips:
try to feed near sheltered areas with conifer cover that are out of the wind
feed away from areas of high human use, dogs, cars, and snowmobiles
supply feed at a rate of 2 pounds per deer per day
resupply feeders when 90% of food is eaten
put food in several places to avoid competition among deer for food
use trough or box type feeders placed on the ground to avoid waste and fecal contamination
Keep feeding deer until the snow melts in spring. Also, be aware that feeding can attract fairly high numbers of deer, and can result in surprisingly high expenses. Feeding deer in or near your yard can also attract and concentrate deer where they may also browse on much of your, or your neighbor's, ornamental trees and shrubs.

What to feed
If you accept the responsibilities of feeding deer, the following foods should be considered.

Deer Food Mixes: The Department of Natural Resources recommends feeding a special deer food mix consisting of a mixture of corn, alfalfa, oats, soybeans, molasses, and several vitamins and minerals. Many feed mills in Wisconsin sell this mixture in pellet or meal form. If such a mix is not available, rabbit or horse pellets with at least 12% protein can be used. By late February, deer that have been eating on woody browse for most of the winter can switch and readily digest this food better than corn or hay.

Oats: After the special deer food mixture, oats are preferred over all other supplemental foods. They provide deer with a very favorable ratio of fiber and carbohydrates.

Corn: We do not recommend feeding deer a pure corn diet as the high starch content of corn can cause high acidity in the rumen which kills microorganisms necessary for digesting food. Corn is widely used deer food in Wisconsin. It is less expensive than the deer mixtures, but not as nutritious. If corn is fed, it should be mixed with oats at a ratio of 4 parts oats to 1 part corn. Do not use corn unless you start feeding it early in the winter before deer are stressed.

Hay: In northern forested areas of Wisconsin, hay is the least desirable food for winter feeding purposes, and is not recommended. When deer have had reduced intake because of low food supplies, rumen activity declines and fermentation of fiber decreases. The fiber type in alfalfa cannot be readily broken down, and it can impact deer in such a way that it dooms them to continued starvation.

When to feed
Deer can be fed all winter if done for recreational purposes. If the intent is to save deer in a severe winter, the most cost effective approach is to start feeding in late February and continue through snow melt or until deer have dispersed to summer habitats. During March and early April is the time of winter when most deer that succumb to winter stress are likely to die. This is the time when supplemental feeding can benefit deer most, and will insure that you do not run out of interest and funding at a critical time of the year for deer.

The DNR's Role
The Natural Resources Board has adopted the following policy that outlines the Department of Natural Resources role during severe winters.

Winter deer survival is largely dependent on fat acquired on summer range. Occasional severe winters will result in deer mortality in Wisconsin, and are considered normal for northern deer and will occur regardless of winter habitat quality. Severe deer losses can be avoided most effectively by maintaining quality summer habitat. Direct feeding is seldom effective on a regional basis, and can be detrimental if done improperly. However, the cost and logistics of feeding enough deer to produce a measurable result in subsequent years precludes feeding as normal public policy. The DNR does recognize the public concern for malnourished deer, public desire to feed stressed deer regardless of cost or measurable results, and the benefits to individual animals which are properly fed. Therefore, the following policy is adopted for wintering deer in the northern forest of Wisconsin:

1. The department will seek appropriate deer harvest quotas to maintain deer populations at established goals.

2. Habitat management will emphasize maintaining summer range quality which will produce well nourished deer in the fall and enhance their overwinter survival.

3. The department will monitor wintering deer herds by surveying yarding areas and measuring winter severity.

4. The department will implement existing deer yard plans to maximize browse and perpetuate priority cover.

5. The department will provide technical advice and guidance to individuals and groups on where, when, what, and how to feed privately acquired food to deer during severe winters.

Want to Know More?
For more information on feeding deer and how Wisconsin's deer herd is managed, please contact your local DNR Wildlife Manager.

Basically...the easiest way is to feed corn, oats are better, but oats will spoil faster if you can't keep it dry. If you mix oats and corn, it may take a while for the deer to start eating the oats. Deer often will pick through the oats to get to the corn. Apples are good, but not when they are frozen solid.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:51 PM

I also feed the deer in my backyard. And I agree that if you start feeding the deer in the winter you should keep it up until spring greenup. I have also heard that if the deer gorge themselves on corn only for long periods of time they may get sick. They have to get some other browse. In warmer climates the deer will get other browse. But in the snow they will depend on your feed. I also like to mix corn with sweet horse feed the deer get fat. The sweet horse feed costs about the same as corn. I dont put out the horse feed when its going to rain alot because the rolled oats sorta swell up when they get wet but the deer still love it. I have also used apples when I can get them free and Purina deer blocks but they are expensive.