Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Has anyone switched from carbons back to aluminum >

Has anyone switched from carbons back to aluminum

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has anyone switched from carbons back to aluminum

Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Has anyone switched from carbons back to aluminum

I was wondering if anyone has switched back to aluminums and why?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: Has anyone switched from carbons back to aluminum

I just started playing around with the idea in the past two weeks. I have been shooting carbon arrows for the past three years and have had some issues with the difference in the quality from one arrow to the next. I will not list the companies that I have tried, but they have been high end in most cases. Out of a dozen, I am able to get maybe eight that will be within two or three grains of each other and that will spin great with broad heads. I am not big on speed; due to I only hunt in areas that I get 20-yard max shots. I started playing around with some old XX78 2413's that I had and noticed right of the bat they were a whole lot quieter the my carbons. What really impressed me is when I went to the range and started shooting two 2413's and two carbons at 20 yards, they hit the same spot every time. For a person like me that only shoots deer at 20 yards or less, I was surprised. I don't shot 3D or spots so I am only a hunter and liked how much quieter the Aluminum arrows were compared to the carbons. I will continue to shot both over the summer and will make my mind up at the end of August on which ones will be in my quiver for hunting, but right now it looks like the Aluminums
Old 05-12-2005, 01:43 PM

I had always shot XX75's, but a few years back I started shooting carbons, why? I forget now...but I went back to aluminum, now XX78's and I havent looked back. I care more about a quiet shot and kinetic energy than raw speed, and around here my farthest shot will be 25-30 yards, so i dont really need a carbon arrow.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I have been shooting carbon arrows for the past three years and have had some issues with the difference in the quality from one arrow to the next. I will not list the companies that I have tried,
That is why I have found the ones I like and stick with them. I don't see me ever going back to aluminum.. Spent almost 20 years shooting aluminum and I feel carbon is way superior. But it is like anything else, you need to go with what you like. If you like aluminum, go for it. It is all in what works best for you.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:49 PM

You could always shoot ACC's and have your cake and eat it too! [8D]
Old 05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

I am currently shooting A/C Kinetic II shafts. I like them so far but being no longer in production, I'll just use them for hunting. Quite possibly next year I "ll try some A/C Slims. I like the idea of the aluminum/carbon mix.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

When Beman's first came out, a buddy and I each bought a dozen (I still have 9 of them). They shot good, but were very expensive at the time and we went back to aluminum a year later. Two years ago, I bought an entirely new set up and made the switch to CX terminator selects which I really like. I'll probably stay with the CX's, but I'm thinking about trying some aluminums this summer.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:32 PM

I tried carbons but found that only 8 out of 12 shot well so I went back to my trusted XX75 2413 aluminums and have not thought twice about it, not as fast as the carbons but other than that nobody can convince me that their were any other benefits to the carbons I was shooting over my 2413's. The only thing is if I could afford to try some ACC's I would give them a try.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:28 PM

It's funny how critical poeple get. How many of you honestly take all 12 arrows into the woods with you when you go hunting? I know I don't. I carry 5, max. I could understand being a little concerned if you were way out in the boonies for a week or two and worried about something happening to some of your arrows, but hunting close to home? Puh-lease.

I'll take those eight carbon arrows out of a dozen and all the advantages they have over alluminums. Those four extras may not fly quite as well as the other eight, but they make damn good small game arrows.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot 2 3-D shoots with carbons. That was enough for me. I'm back to my XX-78's.

Quick Reply: Has anyone switched from carbons back to aluminum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.