Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 What am I doing wrong then? >

What am I doing wrong then?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What am I doing wrong then?

Old 04-12-2005, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default What am I doing wrong then?

I picked up my bow with a new winner choice string and some gt 75-95 xt arrows and have been shooting them feeling pretty good. I put on a muzzy and at 10 yards it hit 8" left. So I tried a wasp mechanical and it hit 10" left. Out of pure aggrivation I built a paper tuner. I shot 3 arrows 2 times. The first arrow had a tear about two inches to the right, the second 3" right and slightly up hill, the 3rd made a perfect bulllet hole. On the second round all 3 arrows made perfect bullet holes. So it must be me right? What am I doing wrong?
Keep in mind I am a LEFTY
shooting 60# 28.5" GTs
100gr.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2005, 06:25 AM

Default RE: What am I doing wrong then?

It sounds like you may be torqueing (sp?) your grip. If you can get a hold of a Bowhunt America magazine, there is a great article in this months issue about 10 things you can do to improve accuracy. Check a local proshop. Most of them carry it there and some give it away for free. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

If I am a lefty, would torquing my bow with my right hand send the arrows left and a paper tear right or am I doing a number of things wrong?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's most likely form related, but for starters your arrows are overspined for your setup. Even so, they would do the same thing out of the bow if your form is consistent, assuming you have the timing right on the rest and are not getting any fletching contact.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of the ways I try and determine what is going on is by changing something. Do something different and check the results. Some here recommend baby powder for checking clearance problems. I use a powder spray.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:13 PM

To a left handed archer a right tear would indicate a weak spine (not the issue) or a clearence issue.

Since you ended up shooting bullets after the right tear I'd sooner think you had a form issue on the first couple of shots. It's no secret that bheads will fly diffrently then field points. I would suggest group tunning with broadheads. The directions are on page 20 off the easton tunning guide
http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloa...ning_guide.zip
Old 04-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

I just got this from easton, this is the directions given for a righty to broadhead tune. In this situation the arrows are hitting left just like mine. I have questions see below.

3. If the broadheads group to the left, they are behaving
as if the shaft is too stiff (for a right handed archer).
Any, or several, of the following can be done to
correct the point of impact.
¥ Increase the poundage on the bow.
¥ Change to heavier broadheads.
¥ If you are using a cushion plunger, decrease the
spring tension.
¥ Move the arrow rest or cushion plunger in toward
the bow. Make adjustments 1/32" at a time

I am a lefty so I guess that means the opposite?true? If so that says my spines are too weak but I am shooting 75-95 not too weak... so what next? dont want to decrese poundage. should I use lighter broad heads?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigbuck270
I am a lefty so I guess that means the opposite?true? If so that says my spines are too weak but I am shooting 75-95 not too weak... so what next? dont want to decrese poundage. should I use lighter broad heads?

That will fix a weak spine to some degree but there's no way these are to weak unless they are bad. If anything there to stiff. Try a heavier head but you'll have to make sure the nock end is heavier. You can use a 125 head with a 5" vane and be ok. If you don't have 5" vanes already that 100 head is a little to heavy and way to heavy if you have feathers.

If it's not you I think you need to have the specs on your bow checked.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigbuck, if you read elsewhere in the tuning procedures you will also read that Compound Release shooters often get results opposite of what is considered normal. In this case you have to make adjustments contrary to the book. It's right at the bottom of page #7.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

also watch out for your prong inboard/outboard stance, if one protrudes farther out than one another ,,die grind till both are 90 degrees to your riser.

Quick Reply: What am I doing wrong then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.