Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 string loop/ultra nock...pros/cons >

string loop/ultra nock...pros/cons

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

string loop/ultra nock...pros/cons

Old 03-28-2005, 06:42 AM

Default string loop/ultra nock...pros/cons

What are the pros and cons of shooting a release with either a;

string loop or.........

Aluminum Ultra Nock?

I am currently shooting an Ultra nock with a dual caliper release. I've never shot a string loop.

Thanks, Kev
Old 03-28-2005, 11:13 AM

Default RE: string loop/ultra nock...pros/cons

the ultra nock sounds like it would be a little heavier which would decrease speed. That is no big deal so I can't see any draw backs. Is it quiet and how is it holding up? I've thought about getting one myself.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are no pro's to an UltraNock compared to a string loop. It's heavy so reduces speed by about 8fps or more. Wears out your release jaws. Noisy and can, depending on how it's installed, beat the hell out of your cables. There are 2-4 screws that can come loose letting you beat your face apart while drawing, not to mention something putting your eye out if one of those screws come out on the rebound. I consider them something added for someone who doesn't know any better.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Added to what BGFisher said--a String loop can be lengthened or shortened a bit to tweak your draw length, this cannot be done with the ultra nock.

Also the cost of changing 5-1/4" loop rope is cheaper to replacing the ultra nock.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/FEATURES.html
read this, it will help you out.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:54 AM

ORIGINAL: mainehunt

What are the pros and cons of shooting a release with either a;

string loop or.........

Aluminum Ultra Nock?

I am currently shooting an Ultra nock with a dual caliper release. I've never shot a string loop.

Thanks, Kev
I would prefer a string loop over an ultra nock because,
My anchor point creates a slight twist in my hold. If I use anything other then string there will be a torque issue to deal with.
I could go with a release with a swivel head but, I like my Hurricane and string loops are $5.00 for 2.
PT
Old 03-30-2005, 06:05 AM

Do you folks tie your string loops on the bowstring yourselves??

Is it much of a big deal to do it??

Thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 07:43 AM

ORIGINAL: mainehunt

Do you folks tie your string loops on the bowstring yourselves??

Is it much of a big deal to do it??

Thanks
I tied my own, it was not hard just time consuming. Most of the packages have instructions on how to tie the knots. It will take some time to figure out the right length. I now know that a 4.5 piece is perfect to make a loop that fits my anchor point.
PT
Old 03-31-2005, 06:01 PM

in my opinion ,the string loop all the way.i personally dont understand why people would want too put any more "chunks of metal" on their strings than they have too? but that is just me. i used a string loop for the last 2 yrs now, and not one problem so far
Old 03-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

the ultra nocks are easy to install and change string position. i have been using them for like 8 years now . never had one come off or a screw come out whether im using loc-tite or not. i dont care about speed i just know they work just as good as a loop.i tried a loop last year and the only thing i found was that a loop wears out. i never had a release jaw wear out either. if anything the jaw is getting smoother with age. there are 2 different types and i have owned both. the ultra nock uses 4 screws and the true nock uses 2. its just another one of the voo-doo type products. you either love it or not. its not really good or bad to use either. i dont need a press to put my ultra nock on thats all i know.

Quick Reply: string loop/ultra nock...pros/cons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.