Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Magnifying/scopes for 3-d shoots? >

Magnifying/scopes for 3-d shoots?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Magnifying/scopes for 3-d shoots?

Old 03-02-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Magnifying/scopes for 3-d shoots?

the shoots i go to everyone has these and i have a 3-pin sight. does anyone know a good brand that makes these that wont cost me a kidney on the black market
Old 03-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Magnifying/scopes for 3-d shoots?

You also must realize these guys are shooting 50+ yard targets on the long stake. Stick with your pins until you get some experience then look at scopes if you believe you are ready to take on the long stake.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:45 PM

were i shoot at the range is 20 yards. i do descent with my sight. i got a score of 120 the first time 154 the second and 177 last week. and there is a possible score of 280 if u hit all 14s on all 20 targets. but average is around 180-220. i just want to get up there with them and i wear contacts(supposed to anyway) but i never shoot with them in so thats why i want a scope.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

To get anything even decent you can expect to spend $300 or so. It's not just a scope they have. You have to buy a decent adjustable target sight to mount it on. To get really good ones you're looking at $450 and up. Does this give you heart palpitations?

And then you are not done. I'll bet these other guys are all using long stabilizers with many using counter weights and V-bars. Drop another $200- $300. Now do you really want to do this right now?

And most likely they are using some GOOD releases. Not these run of the mill caliper types most guys hunt with. There goes another $150/each. You gotta have more than one for a backup.

That's what it takes when you want to compete at or near the top. And it doesn't stop there. That just gets you warmed up.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's what it takes when you want to compete at or near the top. And it doesn't stop there. That just gets you warmed up.
Providing you have what it takes to be able to compete at that level
Old 03-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just set up a tournament bow and went a little on the cheaper side(good equipment though) and dropped 2,000 by the time I was done. If you do decide to go with a scoped slider, look around for used items. I bought my copper john ANTS with the scope for 250.00. It can get real spendy. If you are not used to shooting a scope you can run into problems. Any movement will amplify in the scope. The farther the scope is out the more it will magnify the target, however the more it will cause you to shake. Anyone with moderate target panic will be pushed over the edge. If you are shooting 20 yards there is no reason why you can't run with them with a pin sight. I would concentrate more on your shooting before increasing the amount you spend on equipment. An expert shooter can win a tournament with any bow. As an archer gets better and starts pushing the limits then it might be more feasible to upgrade equipment. I didn't make the move until I started shooting within a couple of points of the top guns in my area with my hunting gear. The greatest amount of points to be gained in your situation will come from proper practice and not equipment upgrades. Buckeye hit the nail on the head about all that he said. Get a little closer in points to the good shooters then think about splitting hairs. 3-D shooting can be alot of fun. Worry about beating yourself and strive to improve your per target average and before you know it, everyone else will be in the rearview mirror.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:29 AM

Well...........I'm going through the same thing !! I have always used hunting set ups(even from the long stakes)...........but ready to get more competitive at 3-d !! Scopes have my interest up..........but I have about decided to go with a Spott Hogg Hogg-It pin sight.........Sure Loc Lethal Weapon .....or Copper John Pro 3 pin sight ! I can pick one of these up off e-bay relatively cheap !!

So far I am doing good on my 3-d rig..........Conquest 2 (used).....10" vibracheck, used Mathews micro rest , GT Pro Series 22 arrows .....currently an Impact Cosmic sight !! I only have $500-$550 tied up in it right now !!!
Old 03-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

CBM, check out 3dshoots.com, they have deadnuts pro 3 sights for 75.00. That is a great price. I shoot the ANTS sight and can switch out without changing the dovetail in case it is raining out. I just loosen the screw and slide in the pin bar.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:44 AM

Thanks...........I'll check it out !!
Old 03-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

same here i come up with i thoguht a cj and these guys got thos its crazy

Quick Reply: Magnifying/scopes for 3-d shoots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.