HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   comparing Hoyt and Reflex (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/89328-comparing-hoyt-reflex.html)

huntingpal 02-05-2005 04:13 AM

comparing Hoyt and Reflex

I have not shot the new hoyt or the new Reflex yet, but wanted some opinions about how they compare. I can see visual diferences but have been told by the Reflex dealer they are as good as the Hoyt. Is there any truth to that statment??

dws 02-05-2005 06:19 AM

RE: comparing Hoyt and Reflex

Reflex is owned by Hoyt. The only big difference that I can think of is that they don't use the laminated limbs on the reflex. There is also a lot of difference in price for comparable models. I would say the biggest reason for the price difference is marketing. Hoyt can only be bought from a dealer which means you should get good service from people that know what they are doing to get you set up or any needed repairs. Reflex can be bought at almost any sporting goods store which means you are basically on your own to get it set up right or pay for any repair services. They are both very good bows I don't think you could go wrong with either.

ewolf 02-05-2005 11:32 AM

The pocket system is not as good as that of the Hoyt. The reflex should have a magnesium riser, and the grips are bigger. Are the main differences along with the limbs. As for being as good as hoyts [:'(]. They are good bows and for the dollar are most likely a better buy. However not as good.

standingbear 02-05-2005 12:25 PM

i have researched reflex to the point that in comfortable with buying one soon. The difference is mainly price (name). Sure you can kick around machined risers, laminated limbs, "better"? this or "better"? that. The bottom line is Reflex seems to be a high quality bow. Not a low-end product by any means. The reflex will drop a deer or elk just as well as a hoyt. Now if your into IBO or a target shooter you may think differently.

Good luck!
standingbear:eek::eek:

Bullkllr 02-05-2005 11:33 PM

Most of the Reflex line are Hoyts from previous year models.

KBacon 02-06-2005 07:12 AM

Most of the reflexes that I've see have a machined aluminum riser. This year the Reflex got it's own cam design... which might be a Hoyt cam w/ a little different machining.

This is like trying to compare a Chevy truck to a GMC truck... the GMC dealer tries to charge more and tell you that it's built better than the Chevy... but in all reality they are the exact same and come off the same assembly line.

jones123 03-06-2005 11:22 AM

This is gonna sound stupid, but the main reason I don't like Reflex is those silly game tracks cast into the risers on their higher models. It made me feel like they are putting effort into a gimmick that isn't necessary.

Fortunately I found a 2004 xtec on this very site from a member and got a great deal, so there was no decision about reflex vs hoyt higher price for me. I would feel silly not buying a bow because it has game tracks on it.

BTW these members are very trustworthy and great guys, most of 'em! I'd buy from any of 'em.

nodog 03-06-2005 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: jones123

This is gonna sound stupid, but the main reason I don't like Reflex is those silly game tracks cast into the risers on their higher models. It made me feel like they are putting effort into a gimmick that isn't necessary.

Yea but those deer tracks in the riser help people know if their following the right kind of critter.:D

i shoot stuff 03-06-2005 01:34 PM

shot the reflex grizzly today it draws real easy and shoots real fast i love it.