Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 STICK WITH HOYT OR PURCHASE A BOWTECH >

STICK WITH HOYT OR PURCHASE A BOWTECH

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

STICK WITH HOYT OR PURCHASE A BOWTECH

Old 01-25-2005, 09:08 AM

Default STICK WITH HOYT OR PURCHASE A BOWTECH

I AM CURRENTLY SHOOTING A 2004 HOYT RAZOR TECH BUT WANT TO PURCHASE A BOW THAT WILL BE A GOOD 3-D BOW AND HUNTING BOW. MY RAZOR TECH SHOOTS AT 260 FPS W/25"DRAW AT 64#. I AM LOOKING TO GAIN MORE SPEEED AND THE BOWTECHBOWS HAVE CAUGHT MY EYE. ARE THE BOW TECHS A BETTER BOW THAN THE HOYTS? IS IT JUSTIFYABLE TO SELL MY HOYT IN ORDER TO PURCHASE ONE OF THE NEW BOW TECHS? THE THREE BOWS FROM BOWTECH THAT I AM LOOKING AT ARE THE ALLEGIANCE VFT, THE MIGHTY MITE. AND THE PATRIOT VFT. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT GIVE ME SOME INPUT ON WHAT TO DO? THANKS
Old 01-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: STICK WITH HOYT OR PURCHASE A BOWTECH

I would go with a new Hoyt instead of getting a bowtech or just keep what you have. You have a great bow already, and in my opinion Hoyt and Mathews make the better bows.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I can say that I have owned all 3 of the bows you mentioned. So I can relate some of my personal experiences.

The Allegiance and Patriot are very similar. The Allegiance is a bit faster than the Patriot. Although the Patriot is a touch quieter. They feel identical in hand. They also share the same riser.

The MM is not quite in the league of the Alle and Pat.

I would go shoot them both and discover which draw cycle you perfer and go with that. Once you shoot them both you will know right away which you like better.

That is if you decide to sell the Razortec. Which in its own is a fine bow as well.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like my Hoyt's. I have tried many different manufacturers of bows over the years and continue to prefer Hoyt. Very reliable and dependable with a solid history of quality and high standards. Constant improvements in models, cam design and styles to lead the pack. A lifetime warranty is only as good and the manufacturer, if they are still in business.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Switching bow makers is like switching wives.... it seems fun at first but eventually you'll want the old one back. Stick with Hoyt don't selout to the newest thing!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: 14mercs
Switching bow makers is like switching wives.... it seems fun at first but eventually you'll want the old one back
Well, I'm thinking about switching wives, but I'm keeping my BowTech! J/K Dear!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your Razortech is a fine bow for sure and between the qualities of the 2 manufacturer's it's like splitting hair's and for the money part of this probably would be more than what your going to expect from switching brand's .Although I love my BowTech and can't see ,me switching brand's to find out whether I like another brand or not .Sure Hoyt ,Mathew's are great bow's but I'll keep my Bowtech .I'm sure if you shoot these bow's side by side you'll be able to notice the difference, and if it's worth the cost that will come with it ,then go for it .There would have to be a very noticable difference to make this change worth it ,and only you can make this decision.

nubo
Old 01-26-2005, 08:49 PM

Deadeye101,

The RazorTec is a great bow, and one that I had considered buying in the past! As far as the performance/speed your bow is getting, I don't know about the speed you posted! At 25" draw length, you are already looseing between 50-60 f.p.s. off the IBO speed, add a a peep, string leechs, and nock, and you are looking at looseing another 12 f.p.s. there, not too mention the weight of your arrow. If you are shooting anything over a 320 grain arrow, you are going to be looseing speed at around 1 f.p.s. for every 3 grains of arrow weight. Lets say you are shooting a 390 grain arrow, your speed should be looseing somewhere between 85-90 f.p.s. The RazorTec has an IBO speed of 310 f.p.s. The only way you could be getting 260 f.p.s out of a 25" RazorTec would be to shoot the bow with nothing on the string, and shoot a 320 grain arrow! As the bow is now, you are probablly actually getting around 220-230 f.p.s.

Now with that cleared up, I have shot the Allegiance, Patriot, and MightyMite. I like all 3 bows for different reasons. I shot the Allegiance last night and was skeptical of it. I liked the feel, lack of noise and recoil, but the draw cycle takes a little getting use to. It ISN'T bad, it IS different. The cycle pretty much starts at peak draw weight and slowly and SMOOTHLY decreases into let-off. Most bows go from a low weight and build into peak draw weight before transitioning into let-off. The Patriot was the first BowTech I ever shot and I have shot (2003 model) and I shot the 04 Pat. This bow has the I-Cam which is a mild "hard" cam! It has a little less noise and recoil than the Allegiance in my opinion. I owned a MightyMite and shot the new MightyMite VFT. I really like the MightyMite but it is a touchy little bow. It is a short bow which usually means that it is a little more touchy and less forgiving. Out of the 3, if I had to pick one to buy today, it would be the Allegiance!

If you feel comfortable with your RazorTec, I would stick with it. If you feel that it is time to up-grade, I would definetly suggest going to a BowTech dealer and shooting each of the 3 BowTechs you mentioned and find out for yourself what you really like!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

64 pounds peak weight
325 grain arrow
1.0 SEP
77.4% efficient

Yields 262 feet/sec
Old 01-28-2005, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deadeye101,

What I was attempting to point out in my last post is that I believe your 260 ft/sec speed for your Razortec is quite reasonable. I’ll have to disagree with Buck Magnet a bit. Here’s why:

Given IBO conditions (350gr;70lb,30”) the Razortec is rated at 310 ft/sec. That translates to a kinetic energy of 74.7 ft lbs. A very reasonable estimation of efficiency during the launch for this arrow mass is 78%. That’s about 100gr of virtual mass and again reasonable. This translates to 95.8 ft lbs of stored energy for the initial IBO condition.

Now the question is, how much stored energy will a Razortec at 64 lbs and 25” draw contain? A good way to estimate it is to scale down the force draw curve proportionally. The Razortec has a 7 ¼” brace height so its power stroke for a 30" draw is 21”. The maximum energy a 21” wide by 70lb peak force draw curve can contain is 122.5 ft lbs. but given the initial conditions of 95.8 ft. lbs. this means that this shape draw curve contains 95.8/122.5 or 78.2% of maximum. So now if you take 78.2% of the max for a 16” wide by 64lb draw curve it turns out to be 66.7 ft. lbs of stored energy in your bow for your conditions.

Finally, how fast will 66.7 ft. lbs. of stored energy launch an arrow. Well if the arrow weighs 350 grains and the bow is equal in efficiency to our initial conditions (i.e. 78%) it will launch the arrow at 258.7 ft/sec. That’s’ pretty close to what you said. Now if we put a 320 grain arrow on this bow and use the same virtual mass it calculates to 77% efficient and a speed of 266.3 ft/sec.

Quick Reply: STICK WITH HOYT OR PURCHASE A BOWTECH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.