Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 tree stand or ground hunting? >

tree stand or ground hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

tree stand or ground hunting?

Old 01-19-2005, 08:08 PM

Default tree stand or ground hunting?

i have hunted on ground all my life and am interested about using a stand does anyone know what stands are best from chain on , ladder , and climbing stands please let me know

thanks caleb
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: tree stand or ground hunting?

Unless you are ready to fork out a bunch of money for a bunch of stands and hunt on private land where you can hang permanent stands I highly reccomend a climber.

A climber allows you the freedom to change locations to keep up with the changing habbits of the deer. Ie... feeding, pre rut, rut, post rut, etc...

Summit makes some of the best out there with out charging too hefty a price. If you will be primarily bow hunting from it I prefer to have one that has an open front like the bushmaster X4 or cobra.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I n most case's you'll like to change location's every now and then ,so i go with the climber ,I also have some permenant stand's as well set up on rub line's and near bedding area's .I like the climber it's easy to use and it save's alot of hastle setting up fixed stand's unless you plan on hunting in a single location .I prefer to be in the air so I'm able to see better ,I don't feel your able to see what's moving around from the ground unless it's right on top of you.The other plus to a climber is that your able to take it with you without any hastle ,there's nothing worse than going to your hunting location to find some clown has stolen your stand and believe me some people go to alot of trouble to get a fixxed stand out of a tree even if it mean's cutting it down.

nubo
Old 01-23-2005, 09:10 AM

If you have the right location a ground blind. If not in the trees. I like Lone Wolf climber for moving around ,but you half to have trees that have no limbs for 15-20 feet.
You can use climbing sticks (strap on) or screw in steps( where your allowed) with hang on stand. With some practice you will be in tree in 5 min or so. I like the sticks if tree has limbs No marks on tree no holes for people to see.

Hope this helps.
LeftyPa
Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 PM

Lefty PA has it right. In addition I like the Chippewa Wedge lock tree stand for trees with lower branches. It is the fastest quietest hang on stand that I know of. I also use the Lone Wolf climbing sticks.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:20 PM

thanks for info
Old 01-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recomend a climber! They are easy to move from tree to tree if you need to change your hunting spot. I also like them because you dont need to screw steps in the tree.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:52 PM

well if i buy one looks like im goin with lone wolf or summit thanks guys
Old 01-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have said, if your land is right go with a climber. Summit in particular. Less money spent on stands, much more comfortable, easy to move from spot to spot. If there is a tree that you can't use a climber then stick with your ground blind or go ahead and get a portable. They aren't as comfortable but are need in certain spots.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt mainly with an API bowhunter climber and love it. But every now and then I will get the urge to hunt on the ground for deer or turkey.....and it's a thrill when they get right on top of you. But I have had far better success from a tree. If you go with a stand I would recommend a climber....but do you research and buy what you like and what fits your budget. Last spring, Bass Pro had a sale on the API bowhunter treestand for only $150 which is a helluva deal....so keep that in mind.

Quick Reply: tree stand or ground hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.