Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

CARBON ARROWS

Old 01-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default CARBON ARROWS

I was just reading the Carbon Express post and saw the pics of the shattered arrow in the guys hand. Someone mentioned something about shooting carbons into 3-D targets. What's the scoop, is this good or bad ? I purchased a 1/2 doz. CX-300's a couple of months ago, and these pics do make me a little nervous. Does shooting into 3-D targets weaken the arrows?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: CARBON ARROWS

Been shooting carbons into 3-D targets for years. Foam targets won't hurt your arrows. Bag targets bring your arrows to a more abrupt stop than
3-D targets. I think people get into trouble when pulling the arrow out of the 3-D targets, more so when the target is cold. I've noticed alot of people have a tendacy to pull upward while pulling arrows. The arrow will come out the easiest when pulled straight back. I also believe it is a bad idea to twist the arrow while pulling. Arrows are built to be strong with with pressure applied directly to the knock or point, not a twisting pressure.JMHO.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been Carbon Express arrows for a few years now. CX's and Termionator selects. No problems for me at all and they have always shot very well for me.

I think that the picture you are refering to the guy likely had damaged shaft somehow and didn't check them before he shot. If you are shooting for groups and one arrow smacks another or you hit a tree or trock when hunting that is a lot of force there and any arrow could explode when shot if it gets damaged badly enough no matter what its made of. You should check your shafts no matter if you are shooting carbon or alluminum.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

konk One of the few disadvantages of carbon arrows is the chance for internal cracking or weakening. Quite often when three or four archers are shooting together at a 3-D target the arrows may impact very close to each other and slap against another shooters arrow. Many times this does nothing more than make noise or throw a nock. But on occasion, the slapping together of the arrows may weaken or even damage the arrow. Sometimes the damage is visible, other times the damage can be closer to the inner core of the arrow and not visible. This is a very dangerous situation. Depending on the initial accelleration of the arrow when released the arrow can virtually explode. This is not only dangerous to the shooter and his partners, but also is similar to dry firing the bow which can also let go. I normally shoot aluminum arrows, but on the occasion that I need just a bit more speed I will shoot ACC's. They are aluminum core with carbon wrap. Concealed damage is virtually eliminated. They are a bit pricey, but you need not worry about unexpected failure.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:36 AM

never had a problem with behmn carbon arrows and last year i went threw my lil cheapo walmart foam target and smashed a ciderblock
it didnt crack brake ur nothing i killed a buck with it in sesone
Old 01-18-2005, 06:40 AM

I shoot CX400's never had a problem.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:18 PM

The only time I have ever heard of a carbon arrow shattering is if the archer is shooting the wrong arrow for his draw weight, or what sniper was saying. They are strong, and safe arrows.