Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 New bow time, need help. >

New bow time, need help.

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New bow time, need help.

Old 01-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New bow time, need help.

Well I think it may be time for me to get a new bow. I bought a Parker phoenix 32 last summer and have been happy with it but not extatic like I was with my UL35. It is just too short for me and not enough brace height. I bought it with out shooting it cause I loved my UL35 so much I figured what the heck. Well I won't do that again.[&:]

An way, I work at a pro shop and we carry, Mathews, Hoyt, PSE and Diamond but we stock far more Hoyts and Mathews but I don't really like any of their bows. I am looking to you guys that may have actually shot some of the bows I am going to list here in hopes that you could give me some good honest evaluations about them.
Not to sound rude but the typical "I got a _______ and I love it. I've killed X number of deer with it." isn't what I am looking for here.

My specs list will include 34 - 40 inches ata, Minimum of 7 inch brace height preferably closer to 7.5", 300 fps IBO or better, nice narrow grip LESS than $700.00. I would prefer to go back to a true dual cam but there are so few to choose from any more. Maybe you could list some for me I should look at.

My list of bows to look at so far include...

MERLIN
.......... Vision with the R2 turbo cams
.......... Quest 35 with the R2 turbo cams

WHISPER CREEK ARCHERY
.......... PS 35
.......... TR 35

PSE
.......... Vengeance with the NRG hybrid cams

KODIAK BOWS
.......... Bow Logic 36

MARTIN
.......... Razor X nitrous Elite
.......... Phantom II Nitrous Elite

ARCHERY RESEARCH
.......... AR-34 and AR-37

I would also consider the Bow tech Defender VFT even though it is only just over 31" ata and the Diamond Victory if they shoot well. I like the specs on the Bow Tech OLD GLORY but I really don't want to get into the $700 range if I don't need to.

Yes I plan on actually shooting them all, If I can, before I decide but hopefully some of you guys that have put some of these bows through their pases can enlighten me on their shootability.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New bow time, need help.

I know this isn't on your list, but if you can get ahold of a CP Oneida Black Eagle, I think you'll love it. The draw on it is silky smooth, smoother than a Bowtech. The let-off has no hump to it, it gradually lets off, not like a wheely bow that lets off an inch from your face. It has zero handshock and recoil. Its a bit noisy to some poeple, but with the proper stuff it is one of the quiets bows out there. The brace height, depending on your draw length is from 6"-7 3/4". Its a litte long to at 43-46 tip to tip. IBO Speed is 298, AMO is 242.You like the Bowtechs Binary cam design? Oneida's have had these since '82. These bows are so easy to work on, you can totally disassemble without a bow press, and using a couple allen wrenchs and a screwdriver. Yes, you've probly heard of them being low quality, that was in the old days when Roger Loomis had the company, now that Claude Pollington has bought the company the quality is top-notch. Since you work at a proshop, CPO will probly send you a bow to try out if you call them. And customer service is second to none. I ordered some cables and new cams from them for my 9 YEAR OLD bow, and within a week I had all the parts I needed. If I didnt know what I was doing, all I had to do was call them up and they would explain to me step by step what to do.

Sorry for the long post, I hope you read it, because if you try it out, you will fall in love.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The prices are 649 for a ESC Black Eagle. ESC means it has carbon composite limbs, which really improve the silky smooth draw it already has.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks DK.

Any one else got any actual hands on infromation on any of these bows?
Old 01-04-2005, 12:49 PM

No question. Mcphearson Edge. I have been shooting one in 300 leagues and shooting 300's with it. 29" draw 65# 335 grain goldtip shooting 300 fps. I sale Mathews and parker, AR and such. Had the bow burnout blues till I picked up this bow.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might also consider adding Darton to your list. I have a Darton Typhoon. I traded a Hoyt X-Tec for the Typhoon, nuff said.
The Martin line is another great choice.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not on your list, but it does (barely) meet your specs. Darton Tundra, 40" ATA, 7.5" brace. 311.5 IBO, yet smooth to draw and shoots quietly. I would think the McPherson Edge would also be a great one. I do really like the CPS system.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Spike

I see that you're considering the Merlin Line... Don't rule out the Max Extreme. It's only 33" ATA but it's 8" Brace height makes it shoot with bows that are much longer. It's truely a bow you've got to shoot to believe how it performs...Good luck with whatever you decide on!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:50 PM

The AR's are really nice bows in my opinion & the PSE VEngence should be a solid perfromer as well. Darton has some really nice bows, the for the money they may offer the best bang for your buck.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Bigbulls, How much did you like the Parker? Because I shoot a Hunter Mag by Parker and it is much closer to what you are looking for with axle to axle and brace. With a 490gr arrow I am getting 260ft/sec at 70lbs and 30" draw. I have been happy with how forgiving it is over the short bows and it is 2" longer than the UL35. But it puts you back into a single cam bow.
Mine did a heck of a job on my 04 bull. Something to think about.
Gselkhunter

Quick Reply: New bow time, need help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.