Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Golden Key Dead Head 125 grain Screw In Broadhead >

Golden Key Dead Head 125 grain Screw In Broadhead

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Golden Key Dead Head 125 grain Screw In Broadhead

Old 08-03-2002, 08:18 PM

Default Golden Key Dead Head 125 grain Screw In Broadhead

Golden Key Dead Head 125 grain Screw In Broadhead:

Construction: Hollow Ground Point, Stainless Steel Blades, Aluminum
Ferrule.

Weight: 125 grains
Blades: .021 Stainless Steel
Cutting Diameter: 1-1/8"
Heads Per Package: 3
Cost: $14.99 (eders.com)
Head Type: Screw In

Overview:
This head has a few unique features such as the Bi-Angular blade set (helical) and the point is a new take on the Tricar style tip. Overall the ferrule was a little larger in diameter than some of the heads I have been using but this didn't affect the head and may even make it stronger. I have never thought of Golden Key as a broadhead company but these heads shot really good & held up very well. I wouldn't have any problems using them on deer.

Rating system: 1 = poor, 10 = best.

Durablilty: 8 - I had no problems with this head. The blades are a little thinner (.021) than I normally like but I had no problems and did not break any blades. The tip seems very good and I had no problems with the ferrule bending. The blades seemed to be locked in very good and I do not think anyone would have problems with them unless they hit heavy bone.

Quality: 8 - I liked the way this head was machined and everything fit together good. my only complaint was that the blades were a little dull. They can be touched up and made sharp but to me a replacement blade head should be sharp out of the box.

Flight: 10 - I had very good arrow flight from 20-40 yards. My arrows grouped very well and I had no problems getting them to shoot good. Once again it is very important to make sure your bow and arrow are tuned. If not you may have problems getting your arrows to fly good which isn't the broadheads fault.

Price: 9 - They fall right in there with Thunderheads and other good fixed blade heads. Six broadheads for around $30.00 is a fair price for a good product.

Total Score: 8.75

Final Comment:
I really liked the flight of this broadhead. I had no problems getting it to shoot good. I would use this head for deer in a second and wouldn't think twice about it. It shot great an held up well which to me says this was a well thought out product. I am not sure what impact the Bi-Angular blades had as far as flight since they shot just like the broadheads my bow was setup with. I woudl imagine this feature would help generate some extra spin on the arrow as it penetrates the target and may add some additional cutting area.

My only complaint was the blades are not as sharp as I like to see. It seems anymore most companies do not have blades as sharp as I like and I think they need to correct this. They are sharp enough to cause plenty of damage from todays high performance bows BUT sharper woudl have been better!

If you are looking for a good flying head that holds up well this is worth looking at. I think this is one of those sleeper products most of us would over look in a pro shop which is sad. This is a good product that is better made than a lot of other broadheads on the marget and well worth checking out.

Please Note: My test results for any broadhead is based on the quality, inovation, and basic durability of that broadhead. My reviews do not include any penetration tests other than shooting into a layered target and a pillow target. If you want more information on a broadhead please search for 5 Shots broadhead penetration tests. He really puts them through some tough ones!
Old 08-04-2002, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Golden Key Dead Head 125 grain Screw In Broadhead

Moonge, another great review! Your findings pretty much mirror mine in everyway. great heads with not so sharp blades. They proved very tough in my tests, and the blades held up very well. Once I touched up the blades I would have no problem using these heads on any game.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 08-07-2002, 09:13 PM

Moonge ...Nice Review...
Still questioning sharpness?

It has a lot to do with blade hardness...

The Sharper the blade the more brittle they are...
and we made some Early Really Sharp Deadheads that the blades
broke when penetrating a Steal drum. I would rather have them
not break on animal Bone than be super dupper sharp and shatter?
Some companies think the other way around..??
You and 5 shot know those heads...
GKF Tech
Old 08-08-2002, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone know the specs on the six bladed head. Golden Key has them on the site as 125 grain. But, I wonder if that is with all six blades or just three. I generally like heads that are over 125 grains. Anyone use these before.