HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   "classic test" Rocky mtn Snyper mechanical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/8140-classic-test-rocky-mtn-snyper-mechanical.html)

5 shot 07-12-2002 07:47 PM

"classic test" Rocky mtn Snyper mechanical

Rocky mtn Synper 100 grain

Accuracy 5 points
Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 2 points
Orange 3 points
Blades 3
Cutting diameter 4 points
Rearward opening head 1 point
Total score 23, with a blade sharpness rating of A

This is in my opinion the finest mechanical head on the market. It has everything a mechanical head needs, and it works very well. The rearward opening blades eliminate any chance of deflection or “cartwheeling” that can happen under extreme conditions with most of the “jack knife” opening style heads. Another benefit of this style of head is that you always get an entrance wound, in fact I have found that the entrance wound is actually larger than the total cutting diameter of the head. This is due to the way the blades swing out and back to open.
In the plywood test the Snyper blasted all the way through without any damage. This is only the 2nd mechanical head to do so. In the steel drum it penetrated the first side, and bounced off the back wall. The only damage was some bending of the blades, but the head stayed intact. In the Orange it opened completely by the time it exited, the blade/tip made a nice slit on the front side, and the blades showed some indication of opening. This is about the fastest opening mechanical I have tested.
Overall I find this broadhead to be excellent. It will shave hair right out of the package, the accuracy is outstanding, it opens fast, and is very durable. I can say without question this is also one of the best penetrating mechanical heads on the market. The only one to come close to it’s performance is the rocket steel head, but the snyper cuts a bigger hole, and has much sharper blades.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS

moonge 07-12-2002 08:25 PM

RE: "classic test" Rocky mtn Snyper mechanical

great review 5 shot. yes i agree rocky mountain has super sharp blades and make some of the best broadheads on the market. This is a solid and well designed mechanical. I can't wait to try some out myself! once again thanks for the great review.

Howler 07-12-2002 08:52 PM

Thanks for the review, 5 shot. Interesting as usual. I have been concidereing this head for the up coming season, and now I may just go ahead and order some up. Thanks again for your eduacated imput.

Hidden Hunter 07-13-2002 04:38 PM

5 Shot could you please post cutting diameter of this head?Thank's!

Diplomcy is the act of saying Nice Doggy!,till you can find a big rock.
Will Rogers

5 shot 07-13-2002 06:57 PM

The cutting diameter is 1 3/8" you can check them out and get a full description at rocky mtn archerys website.

scottsman 07-13-2002 11:17 PM

5Shot...Thanks again, if Muzzy goes out of business tomorrow, I'll have snypers by the next day. Thanks again for all of your time and effort.

Edited by - scottsman on 07/14/2002 00:18:50

eightwgt 07-17-2002 06:37 PM

5 Shot

Have you run that test on the Shockwaves ? How did they compare ?

5 shot 07-17-2002 06:43 PM

The shockwaves are my 2nd favorite mechanical, behind the Snypers. I will try to get the test reposted for you by friday.

JOE PA 07-17-2002 06:46 PM

Thanks for re-posting this one, Chris.

I just got a 3 pack of these, and have to agree on the sharpness. No sharpening needed, that's for sure!

Ironically, I have 3 of these, and 3 of the Slick Tricks with the "new and improved" steel washers to use as back ups this year.

Maybe I'll get a 3 pack of 100 grain Muzzys to cover the bases better?

Can you still use 100 grain heads now that you went back to aluminum?
Are you using 2317's with the Rampage now?

Avoid the inevitable until it is absolutely unavoidable!

5 shot 07-18-2002 04:06 AM

Joe, I will be shooting 2219's with 100 grn point, 28" long with 3 5" right helical feathers. Atleast that is the plan. The 2219's I had were plain xx75's, and I just recieved the unibushings for them last night. I have been shooting them with "standerd" nocks and 5" vanes and I must say accuracy is excellent, broaheads and field points shooting together at 60 yards, and grouping just as tightly. the total arrow wieght will be 550 grns, or roughly 150 grns heavier than my carbons. I will continue to use the carbons for my broadhead tests as that is what I have been using all along, and with my Muzzy zero effect rest I didn't need to change any of the settings to bullet holes with the aluminums or carbons. I have a couple dozen 2317's xx78's, but I think they are a bit to Stiff to shoot with a release.