Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Ol' Man treestands?

Old 06-13-2002, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ol' Man treestands?

For years, I've been putting off buying an Ol' Man climber--waiting for the price to go back up I guess! Now that they're back to the higher prices, I'm still considering. I want a stand I can sit in comfortably ALL DAY if I want. My Vantage Point doesn't allow me that much comfortand Ol' Man looks very comfortable. So does Summit. I'd like to hear what owners/users think?

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:40 AM

Default RE: Ol' Man treestands?

I have had two ol'mans and they are good stands,but if you plan on hunting all day in it you better get a good cushion for you butt and lower back. I lost a shot at a buck a couple of years ago, because I couldn't get the shot off due to the bar that makes into a footrest for bowhunting, the buck came up on my left side and I didn't have time to stand up and wouldn't you know it the buck stopped right in the angle where the bar came down and I couldn't draw my bow. But there again if I got up in time I could have got him. All in all they are great stands. Hope this helps in some way, hunter

Robert Petty
Old 06-30-2002, 03:42 PM

I've had the Ol'man Grandvision for 2 years now and love it. It's light weight and extremely secure in the tree. I find it to be as comfortable if not more comfortable than any other lightweight portable stand!! If you can, borrow someones and see for yourself first. I find it well worth the price.

Good Luck!!
Old 07-01-2002, 08:52 AM

Awhile back, I posted this review of the Ol'Man original climber:

The Ol'Man climber is very comfortable. The net seat allows the hunter to adjust the width and location fairly easy. The net seat distributes pressure evenly so you can stay in it all day. Since it is a net, it can be scrunched out of the way easily when standing.

Setting up the stand is a fairly straight forward procedure and can be done quietly if you take your time. The stand does go up appropriate trees without too much hassle. The original Ol'Man has the full wrap around bar which provides a good sense of security. I do not find it to be in the way at all when bowhunting even while sitting. The stand is light and backpacks quite easily. The procedure to break it down is fast and it folds real flat. The supplied chest harness seems to be durable but I use a Seat-O-The-Pants full harness.

When you reach your desired hieght, the seat must be flipped around if you want to sit with your back to the tree. This operation is extremely tricky since you need to step over the net seat. The upper section should be lowered to do this. This leave you without the surrounding bar for protection when your doing this. Bad idea in my opinion. Ol' Man does sell a seperate add-on net seat which I think should be included with the stand. Setting up the climber (as with all climbers) in the dark is frustrating at best. I defy anybody to do it absolutely silently. You need to align the pins with the holes and through the cable. Make darn sure you bring a flashlight to do this! On smaller diameter trees, the side bars of the Ol'Man original angle inward and can press into your sides. Can be uncomfortable and catch your hips when you stand up. Not a good thing. The Ol'Man really doesn't lock that tight on smaller trees either. It's secure, but does rock slightly. Choose a tree closest to the max size the Ol'Man will fit on. Ol'Man didn't supply a bow holder. I find that to be cheap. Most companies are tossing in a free one, why can't Ol'Man? Each section comes with a strap system to lock the sections onto the tree better. The process of snapping the lower straps together is tricky. You need to reach down to do this so you have to lower to top section and your safety strap to give you the room you need. These straps can also sometimes get caught under the teeth or cable during the climb so your forced to try to free them. Just another time-comsuming, pain-in-the-butt step that keeps you from begining your hunt.

Once up in the tree and configured, the stand allows you to be comfortable all day. I'v never hunted as long in the past. Actually, I don't even think about the stand when I'm setup. This outshines the minor complaints I have about it. I'd like to get the extra net seat and a bow holder. After that, the stand will receive a higher rating from me.

-Mike
Old 07-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

I like my Ol' Man Original. It is comfortable for me and I feel safe in it. Weight wise it isn't bad. If I had a hand climber for my Loggy I might use it more but then again the Loggy is much noisier (when I listen when I go up a tree compared to a friend going up about 60 yards away mine seems much quieter).

Old 07-03-2002, 03:33 AM

Just wanted to say that I love to use my ol'man climber. I can't remember the name of it, but it is the carbon climber with footrest/gunrest. I've been using it for two yrs. now and I don't see giving it up anytime soon. I don't use the cushion for it and for me it is very comfortable and less things I have to carry into the woods. I think it is a great stand and is very safe (I have fallen asleep in it more than once).
Old 07-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love my Old Man stand.Light weight and very comfortable.Mines four seasons old and still going strong.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:27 PM

The new Summit Revolution looks very comfortable. The commercials are pretty good also. I would love to hear some feedback concerning this stand, if anyone has it yet.
Old 08-02-2002, 06:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-03-2002, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have 2 Ol'man climbers and I absolutely love them. Very comfortable, easy to set up, quiet, carry well. The only downfall mentioned in the post above mine, well it's been solved with the new line.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>

Quick Reply: Ol' Man treestands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.