Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
SME Nu Speed fall away rest >

SME Nu Speed fall away rest

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

SME Nu Speed fall away rest

Old 06-12-2002, 11:52 AM

Default SME Nu Speed fall away rest

Well, I went out and bought one of these contraptions yesterday and put it on my Darton Yukon. I was considering a Muzzy Zero Effect, but could not justify the cash when what I had worked. The rest I replaced was a Quicktune 3000, which is a nice rest for the money. I had played around with converting it to a drop away, and was not 0verly impressed with the results. Certainly not enough to justify what the muzzy costs.

I noticed the NU Speed was simular in operation, but more affordable to me. I also like the arrow holder. After installing it last night and playing with it a little, these are my first impressions. I have not checked for accuracy yet. Because of the installation my impact points are different and I use a Hindsite instead of a peep. If you move your pins, you have to readjust the hindsite. So I took of the rear recticle for now and am just shooting with the pins. I do ok this way, but nothing to rave about.

I have also not tested to see how it works with broad heads. For one I don't have a broad head target at the moment. And for another, I don't know what arrows or heads I am going to use this season yet. I may wizz a few old thunder heads into something just to see what happens though.

Ok, for starters this thing blows my whole "simpler is better" motto I had for this year right out of the water! There are a lot of "peices parts" and moving "do-hickies" on this thing for it to be considered simple. But once you get it installed and get a basic knowledge of how it works it's not overly complicated.

Someone commented on the instructions being to basic. The written instructions are pretty worthless. If you do not have some decent mechanical skills or knowledge you may get frustrated. BUT, mine came with a video, like the muzzy that goes step by step on how to install it. And has some tips and tricks at the end of the video. As a bonus they even show some game being whacked with bows.

The video shows basic installation of two of thier models, the revolution(the one I have) and the renegade. The differences in the models are one comes with an option to install the cable rod into the rest, incase you have a bow that mounts the rod in an odd position(renegade). The revolution is just the basic rest and uses the the rod in it's original position. Other than that they are the same rest and set up the same. That is a cool feature in my opinion though.

Mine was not a typical install, nothing for me ever is! I had two problems with my bow that they did not cover. Well, one they covered, but I did not like the solution. The first thing I noticed was with the rest installed, the linkage on the rest would not line up with the linkage on the cable slide. My cable gaurd was about 1/4 of an inch to the inside of the rest. There is no mention of this problem any where in the instructions or on the video. Luckily my darton has an adjustable guard, so I moved it out until things lined up better. The down side is this puts more torque on my cables than what I want and will wear my harness faster. Keep in mind mine was not in the stock position to begin with. I moved it in to the point were my fletchings barely cleared my cables. I did this after I cut a cable last summer hoping it would reduce searving wear on my power cam. It didn't really seem to help, so what the heck, I put it back were it was for this install.

The other problem was the linkage was not long enough to connect at full draw on my bow. They give you a peice of rope to use instead if this happens. You basically just take the linkages off both parts and tie the rope in place instead. This would have actually fixed both my problems, but I wanted to use the linkage if at all possible. Is what they don't tell you is that the arm on the rest that the linkage attaches to has several holes in it. The linkage comes from the factory in the bottom hole, with the spring attached in the hole above it. If you move the linkage to one of the holes farther up the arm it extends the range of motion slightly. I had to use the last hole for mine to work, and it was still a hair to short, but according to the instrustions this is ok to do. If you are way off, you will have to use the rope instead. It was nice of them to put it in the package for you. It is basically the same thing you use for a string loop.

Taking those things into account, it was really quite easy to install after watching the video. I needed nothing other than some nocking pliers, a square, and an allen wrench set.

I bought this rest becuase I thougt it was a "driven away rest" like the muzzy. It's not, it is actually a spring activated fall away. Really not that much different from my converted Quicktune 3000. It does seem to work better though and was worth the 60 bucks I paid for it.

These are some general comments I have about the rest compared with other rest on the market that I have looked at.

For starters it was much lighter than I thought it would be. The whole assembly is lighter than my Quicktune. It is well thought out, machined and put together well. You deffinately get what your paying for. It's not a cheap peice of crap.

If installed properly it is pretty quiet. No twangy or spring noise from any part of this rest. It does make a slight thump when the rest hits the shelf, but it's not very noticable in my opinion. And this thing is very quiet on the draw and cradles your arrow like a little baby. If you pull the arrow off this rest while drawing, well you suck and need more practice. Or maybe you should get a whiskerbisket.

The arrow holder is ultra keen. Works like a charm. This is one of the main reasons I got this rest and it exceeds my expectations in that regard.

There has been some concern of wear on the launcher because of the rubber it uses. Well I have launched about 50 or 60 arrows out of it so far and it shows no signs of wear at all. I am also using the SME Epsilon arrows and aluminums, which are both very smooth to begin with. I think I am going to get some nocks for my Nitro stingers today and see what bare carbon will do to it. At any rate, if you put a small amount of mole skin on the launcher it would most likely last forever with any arrows you wish to shoot.

Because of the way this rest works, and the arrow holder there could be some clearance issues with large vanes. They reccomend shooting cock feather up to minimize this. But from what I could see if set up right there is plenty of clearance for any sane set up. More than any prong style launcher. Shooting an aggressive helical should not be a problem. I don't know about the Turbo Nocks, it depends what the overall dia. is. I would say the muzzy gives you the best clearance of any rest on the markert if this was your goal.

Making fine adjustments on this thing sucks! Not that it can't be done. It is really no different than working with a cheap prong rest like a basic TM hunter or somethings. No dials or knobs, and no referance markings. My Quicktune was kick ass for tinkering with fine tuning when switching arrows and setups.

I did have to move my knock set up about 1/4 of an inch to get the reccomended clearance. SME suggests for proper opperation you have at least one inch between the bottom of your arrow and the shelf at full draw. Moving my knock did not seem to effect the way my bow shoots so far. The only bad thing was it throws everything out of whack. I have to readjust my kisser button, sights, and Hindsite to compensate for it.

I did notice this rest does the same thing my quicktune did when I converted it to a drop away. If I set the arrow up at 90 degrees from the nocking point the back of the arrow will drop when launched. So I had to set it a bit knock high. I have not paper tuned it or anything yet, and may not bother. I shot a bare shaft just to see what would happen and it confirmed my low nocking point, so I moved it up(actually I lowered the rest a little). I probably won't do any fine tuning until I figure what arrows I want to use and get broad heads. I don't want to mess with this rest more than I have to.

The one thing I do like about this rest over the muzzy is that it is not an overdraw rest. The launcher is positioned over my grip, and is adjustable to a certian degree. I feel this is slightly more forgiving than the Muzzy that cradles the arrow a fair amount behind the grip like an overdraw would. Maybe this does not matter that much with a drop away rest, I don't know. All I know is the arrow is going go where it is pointed at full draw, irregardless of whether the rest drops away or not. So torque could still be a factor with these rests. I will know more when I get my bow completely set up.

Overall, I like this rest. It does what it says it does, and does not cost an arm and a leg. Nor does it take an engineer to install it. Do I think it is the best thing since sliced bread? Um, no, not quite. Will it magically make your groups improve? I doubt it very much. I will know more when I shoot some broad heads out of it. That will be the real test of how forgiving it is.

If you are looking for a rest that will hold your arrow well, and allow you to shoot an agressive flething, you may be very happy with this rest. And hey, it looks cool too!

If you want an ultra tunable rest for target or 3-d shooting, I say go for the quicktune or GFK models that are designed for that. But then there is always the quicktune 4000, a drop away with all the fine tuning of the 3000. In the end I geuss it is your decision.

I think if muzzy would drop the price on the zero effect to 70 bucks or so they would sell much better, but then they sell pretty well as it is don't they. It just does not seem when you look at the product and what it is, the material and craftsmanship warrants that price compared to what else is on the market right now. I do think it is great rest and good idea though.

Wow, my fingers hurt. And now I have to proof read all this crap. LOL

Well it will be worth it if someone gains something from it.

Paul

Edited by - biteme/paul mohr on 06/12/2002 12:54:42
Old 06-12-2002, 07:33 PM

Default RE: SME Nu Speed fall away rest

Awesome report paul. I have the rest also and CANT get my feathers to clear the arrow holder arm. You can see plain as day where they are hitting. I am also using the rope setup. Maybe i should try it with the linkage. I dont know if i will keep mine or not yet. Great report. Thanks.
ryan
Old 06-12-2002, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul, your fingers must be killing you. Mine hurt after reading all this. Good report. SME products all appear to be of very good quality. Good luck with the broadheads.

Phil.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:31 AM

Buckhunter, you need to either index your nock so you have one feather sticking strait up in the air and the bottom two form an upside down V over the rest arm. This should give you the clearance you need. Or raise your nocking point. Remember, they suggest at least 1 inch of clearance between the bottom of the arrow and shelf at full draw. You could also remove the arrow holder if you had to. Do you have 5 inch feathers? They may be taller than what I have. Really with feathers it shouldn't hurt anything anyway if touches the rest. They are very forgiving.

Paul
Old 06-13-2002, 04:38 PM

Hey paul i have been putting one feather up with the other 2 in the v shape. I am also shooting 4 inch feathers. Im just gonna keep playing to try and get it to work correctly.
ryan
Old 06-13-2002, 04:56 PM

Well I did some playing with this rest today and so far so good. I swithed back to my Nitro Stingers and set it up with those. I still have not done any kind of real tuning for accuracy or anything, and have still not paper tuned it yet. Is what I did was tune it to shoot the 85 grn thunder heads I had laying around with the Stingers and 4" feathers. I tuned it to have pretty much the same impact point as my field points at 35 yards. The broad head still hits about an inch or so to the right, but I got sick of dinking with it and figured that was good enough for now. It is dead on at 20 yards.

I probably have more than 200 arrows thru this rest now and have not had any problems with it. It is sort of a pain to adjust like I said before, but not much worse than my cheap TM hunter that came with my bow.

After getting it adjusted I put the recticle for my Hindsite back on and started playing. This is a ten shot group at forty yards.

This was with various brands and types of arrows with both feathers and vanes, carbon and aluminum. Nitro stinger greens, Nitro stinger oranges, SME Epsilons, and 2213 xx75's. Ranging in weight from 349 to 386 grns. Not counting the one flyer that went high(that arrow always does that, I should pitch it!) it was a nine shot group measuring 3 1/2 inches wide by 3 inches high. It looks like I still need to work on my center shot a little, or put my level back on. Like I said before, I also shoot better with peep than I do with the hindsite.

I am more than happy with that kind of performance out of a rest though, considering those arrows are all different weights, spines, and diameters.

This is what the rest looks like on my bow.

I basically posted the pictures just to see if I could do it.

Paul
Old 06-13-2002, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the review, seems like a nice rest and one to take a look at, but since I have My Muzzy already, I'll stick with it.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 06-13-2002, 09:12 PM

I honestly think the muzzy is a better design, I just didn't feel like forking over the extra 40 bucks. And like I said, I am not overly thrilled with the overdraw aspect of it.

I was told by the CEO of muzzy on another board that this is in fact a driven rest, but they discontinued it. The new one will not be driven by the bow. He was leaving for a trip and could not elaborate on the issue. I wonder if they are going to do away with the linkage and just use the rope instead, or completely change the design? I can't believe they discontinued it already, didn't it just come out? Oh, well. I keep trying to check out the site, but it is down.

Thanks for the compliments.

Paul