Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Magnus 125 grn Snuffer test reslults. >

Magnus 125 grn Snuffer test reslults.

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Magnus 125 grn Snuffer test reslults.

Old 04-29-2002, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Magnus 125 grn Snuffer test reslults.

Magnus 125 grain Snuffers
Plywood 3 points
Steel drum 3 points
Tire 4 points
Cutting diameter 4 points
Accuracy 4 points
Blades 3 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total: 23+ with a blade sharpness rating of C.
These Magnus made snuffers are of much better quality than the Delta made ones I tested last year. The fly better, are stronger, and easier to sharpen. Had I tested these heads first, I don’t think I would have been so hard on the design. The snuffers are very large for a fixed blade broadhead, therefore will cut a lot of tissue or whatever else they contact. I was very impressed with the “HOLE” they put in the steel drum, and the tire. In the tire the head got through the first side, but just barely. It stopped dead right at the insert. In the plywood, the head buried up to the back of the blades, stopping just short of getting all the way through. In the steel drum the head busted through the first side with the tip sticking in the far side, then falling back out. In the steel drum one blade bent inward, towards the ferule. The bending was minor, but still there. This is the same problem I had with the Delta made heads, but the Magnus made ones are thicker along the blades, and the bending was no where near as bad as with the Delta heads. The reason for this is easy enough to explain. Like I said before, the Snuffers are a very large head, and there is a good bit of distance between the tip, and the back of the blade that is “unsupported”. This is the reason for the blades “squeezing” down under heavy pressure, like you get in the steel drum tests. This could be “corrected” but it would make the head either much heavier, or smaller. If it was made heavier, most of us would not want to shoot it, and if it were smaller, well it wouldn’t be a Snuffer!
This is one of those heads that I feel are a bit better than the actual score would show. My tests give a premium to penetration, and smaller heads generally penetrate more than larger ones. Larger heads do cut more tissue and will cause more damage in an animal. It is up to the shooter to decide which qualities he desires most in a broadhead. While the Snuffer is not the most durable head on the market, it is however plenty strong for anything you will shoot with it. It won’t penetrate as well as the smaller 1” to 1 3/16” heads, but it will cut a larger hole that will aid in blood trailing, and could possibly make a difference on a marginal hit.
One thing is for sure, Magnus has greatly improved the snuffers. If you want a large head that makes a big hole, and is not mechanical in nature, this is probably going to be the head for you.
Something else to consider is that Magnus has a lifetime guarantee on all their heads. You break it, they replace it, I don’t know of any other company that does that! So even if you bend a blade on a Snuffer, it will still do the job on the animal, and you get another head free. This is just another reason I feel these heads are much better than their score would reflect.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Magnus 125 grn Snuffer test reslults.

Good report 5 shot. A friend of mine shoots those....and man do they make a hole!!! I agree they seem to be a pretty good head for a big head, and seem to be very durable in a hunting situation, and they probably make one of the biggest holes you could get. If a blood trail is what you are after...this is the head.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just may try them this year to see just how well they do on game. As big as they are, I am sure they do lot of damage!

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 05-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-02-2002, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will have to try and got some woodsmans to compare to the snuffers. They look similer, but for some reason I was thinking the woodsmans were bigger? I don't know why, but I will check into it.

Old 05-02-2002, 09:00 PM
CG

5shot,
They are longer but narrower......
Old 05-03-2002, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

CG, thanks for the info.