Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mathews Sportsman

Old 04-20-2002, 07:07 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Default Mathews Sportsman

Just got the new Sportsman in and set it up for bow fishing. First thing I noticed, you definately will want to get these at lower poundage. 40 to 50 will be about right for most adults. String length is the same as the FX with the standard maxcam, but the cable is a different length. Limbs and idler are the same so this bow could be a dual purpose bow fairly easily. Shot it with a heavy aluminum several times, no finger pinch problem and nice to shoot. Little too cold for bowfishing here, but will be getting it out after some when it warms up.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:03 AM

Default RE: Mathews Sportsman

Amen to the lower poundage. I drew one the other night when I went to pick up some arrows. I thought there was something wrong with it (or me) until the dealer explained that it isn't supposed to have a "valley". I'm sure it would be awsome for bowfishing.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been considering the sportsman for bowfishing. Few questions for you guys though...
What is the lowest poundage you can get for that bow?
Is there a let off?
What poundage would be minimum for bowfishing waters down to 2-3 feet deep?
What is the MSRP on that bow?

Thanks for your report!
Old 04-26-2002, 04:54 PM
tm
Fork Horn

The Sportsman comes in 40 to 70 pound weights, so it could be shot in the low 30s. There is a little let off early in the draw cycle, but then it picks back up. No effective letoff. As far as 2-3 feet of water, with a fiberglass arrow 40 pounds would do well. Personally I'm going to use it at 40 or close to it.