HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Rocket Steelhead 125 Screw In Broadhead (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/7947-rocket-steelhead-125-screw-broadhead.html)

moonge 04-17-2002 07:24 PM

Rocket Steelhead 125 Screw In Broadhead

Rocket Steelhead 125 Screw In Broadhead:

Construction: Steel, Stainless Steel Blades

Weight: 125 grains
Blades: .027 Stainless Steel
Cutting Diameter: 1-1/4
Heads Per Package: 3
Cost: 21.99 (BassPro Shops)
Head Type: Screw In

Overview:
I have heard of Rocket Aeroheads for the last few years but really never knew anything about them. I have not shot them before I got the Steelhead 125. This head is made from a solid steel ferrule and is a very well machined head. I really like the Pathfinder tip which is a chisel type tip.

Rating system: 1 = poor, 10 = best.

Durablilty: 9.5 - This head is a little tank. I mean the solid steel
body and the cut on impact head is a mean little setup. I wish they used a little thicker blade but I can't complain since they are the same as some other big name heads. Upon a hard impact they can break but the 1-1/4 cutting diameter really helps in this department compaired to the larger cutting diameter mechanicals which shed blades like mad.

Quality: 8.5 - A nice built head but the blades didn't seem as sharp as other heads I have seen. They are not that bad but not nearly as sharp as NAP or Rocky Mountains blades.

Flight: 10 - They fly great & hit where your field tips do, even at
longer yardages.

Price: 7 - They are not bad as far as mechanicals go but I wish they sold them for about 15 dollars a 3 pack (I know keep dreaming!) The nice thing is that they do come with plenty of extra rubber bands which is better than a lot of companies do.

Total Score: 8.75

Final Comment:
I really like the design of this head and can't wait to get to fully test it on some big game this fall! I originally got them to use on turkeys and coyotes but I really think they should work really well on deer size game. The tip is a proven design and the short solid ferrule should last through almost any impact. If they could get the blades a little sharper I would have given this head a better score. As with any mechanical head I would not use them unless I generate at least 55lbs of kenetic energy but of all the mechanicals I have seen so far I like this one the best.

Please Note: My test results for any broadhead is based on the quality, inovation, and basic durability of that broadhead. My reviews do not include any penetration tests. I am not concerned with that, if you want more information on those types of test please search for 5 Shots broadhead penetration test.

Kanga 04-17-2002 09:39 PM

RE: Rocket Steelhead 125 Screw In Broadhead

Thanks Moonge another good report

LOOK OUT SKIPPY HERE I COME.

Nontypical234 04-17-2002 09:48 PM

Thanks Moonge. How comfortable would you be using them on elk?

moonge 04-17-2002 10:30 PM

Hi Nontypical234, I really wouldn't choose any mechanical head for elk, if I did this would be the one. I would go with the Rocky Mountain Ironhead 125 instead, nothing against the steelhead but I just feel better with a good fixed blade head for game bigger than deer. I would say if you want to use them on elk get at least 60-65 lbs of kenetic energy out of your rig. Remember shot placement is the number one thing with anything you hunt. If you stick the arrow where you should either style head will work.

5 shot 04-18-2002 04:32 AM

another great review. Your findings pretty agree with mine. The steelheads fly great, and you won't damage the ferule with anything short of a hacksaw! The blades on all the Rocket heads I have tested have been less than sharp. None of them would even come close to shaving hair. They are also somwhat fragile compared to other mechanicals. They are still plenty strong for deer though. If the steel heads would have been sharper I may have tried them on game last year, but I didn't want to fool with making them "hunt ready". As for elk, I don't think any mechanical is ideal for them, but the steel heads and rocky Snypers would be my two choices.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS

moonge 07-29-2002 11:45 AM

I just wanted to bring some of these reviews back up in front since people are getting ready for hunting season now.

GaBowman 07-29-2002 07:46 PM

I started using the steelheads about 3 years ago. I kill a few deer each year with them and all i have ever done was changed the blades with replacement blades. I haven't figured the KE of my bow, but every shot has been pass thrus and these heads make for easy tracking. As you stated, they fly exactly like the field points so no resetting of sights right before hunting season is necessary. That keeps you confident with your equipment. Until something a whole lot better comes along, I'll stay with the steelheads.

GB

Smack 'em where it hurts!

Thaninator 08-02-2002 02:21 AM

Hey guys:
I keep hearing references to "not" using mechanicals on large game such as elk, moose, grizzly etc.

Is this view coming from experience or rumor?

The reason I ask, is that I've heard that mechanicals got a bad rap when first they made their debut.

Additionally I've heard that, like many products in a free market society, manufacturers have since remedied the original problems, and the top quality ones (like Rocket's Steelhead 125), are pretty much fool proof.

Alaska outlawed mechanicals on moose and grizzly bear because of archer's comments on mechanicals when they first arrived on the market. Now there's a big push to get them legalized. I'm told this is because they no longer have a failure problem.

Not having used them personally, I'm not qualified to speak on the subject, but I'd sure like to know from those that are qualified.

Thanks

Hunt Alaska!

moonge 08-02-2002 10:51 AM

Thaninator yes some of the early mechanicals really sucked! the new ones are getting better. I like the rockets, rocky snypers & revolutions. I myself would not use a mechanical on a moose. just remember that any head will require some energy to open it's blades. when those blades pivot open depending on cutting diameter it drains energy from the arrow. I used some mechanicals last year (spitfires)and did not like them at all. now I do like the rockets a lot better and would use them on deer. if I was to use a mechanical for anything larger than deer it would be the rocky snyper, I like the rearward sliding blades they require a lot less energy to open. can someone take a moose with a mechanical? why yes they can! would I want to? hek no! I have never hunted moose but when it comes to something big I am going to use what I have the most faith in & that wouldn't be a mechanical. I think a major rule would be to use at least 65lbs of KE for anything elk size or larger. as always shot placement is the key, with a good tuned bow & proper shot placement I think you can take just about anything with some of the new mechanicals. as far as me....I would rather have a good head like a rocky mountain or muzzy.