Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
NAP Spitfire 100 Grain 3 Blade >

NAP Spitfire 100 Grain 3 Blade

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

NAP Spitfire 100 Grain 3 Blade

Old 04-05-2002, 03:46 PM

Default NAP Spitfire 100 Grain 3 Blade

NAP Spitfire 100 Grain 3 Blade Screw In Broadhead:

Construction: Aluminum Slimline Ferrule, Steel Trophy Tip, Stainless Steel Blades

Weight: 100 grains
Blades: .030 Stainless Steel
Cutting Diameter: 1-1/2"
Heads Per Package: 3
Cost: 28.99 (BassPro Shops)
Head Type: Screw In Mechanical

Overview:
New Archery Products has been a leader in high quality archery products for a long time. The SPitfire borrows a few time tested design features of the Thuderhead broadhead. The Slimline Low-Drag Ferrule is one of those features along with the Trophy Tip. This is a straight forward 3 blade mechanical head that dosn't use o-rings to hold the blades in place. One of the best features of the product is the practice blade feature. I really like this and it was one of the main reasons I wanted to try this head out last year.

Rating system: 1 = poor, 10 = best.

Durablilty: 6 - Blades can break with a hard impact into a solid object such as bone and I also noticed that the tips would get a little loose after time. I am not sure why this happened with the tip and I never had this problem with the Thuderhead which uses the same design. I also had a few friends that had the same problem so it wasn't just the batch that I tried. On any broadhead I do not like a loose tip so this really caught my attention, in other words it's asking for trouble if you hit bone!

Quality: 6 - NAP have always made very well made products with good quality. They have some of the sharpest blades out there and would run a close second to Rocky Mountains. Once again those loose tips hurt the rating of this head.

Flight: 10 - They fly where you point them and shot just as good as field tips. The practice blade system is a good bonus and I really like that idea.

Price: 5 - A 3 pack of broadheads for $28.99 is a bit much if you ask me.
I tend to think most mechanical heads cost more than they should. I think the Shockwave is a better value and a better product for $10.00 less.

Total Score: 6.75

Final Comment:
The design of this head seems to be a solid one. The idea of a practice system for mechanicals is novel. I didn't like the fact that the tips came loose after a few shots in my pillow target. I did try this head last year on deer and did not like it's performance. I think that the 1-1/2" cutting width takes too much kenetic energy to open the blades. I have known several people who have tried them and all have complained of poor penetration on deer. I normally do not talk about penetration but in this case I felt that I should. 5 Shot's test also showed the Spitfire to be a poor performer when it comes to penetration.

Please Note: My test results for any broadhead is based on the quality, inovation, and basic durability of that broadhead. My reviews do not include any penetration tests. I am not concerned with that, if you want more information on those types of test please search for 5 Shots broadhead penetration test.
Old 04-06-2002, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NAP Spitfire 100 Grain 3 Blade

I personaly feel that their are much better mechanicals on the market. The quality is excellent, but they open to slow for my tasts. The main reason is the blade retaining clips. I have found the shockwaves wich are 10 bucks cheaper to be a much better head. Thanks again for another great report.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 04-06-2002, 02:43 PM

I guess it depends on what you use it with as much as anything else. I have had excellent results with these on deer from Alabama to Ilinois, but I use a 2613 arrow and have My bow set at 70lbs. I imagine if your shooting cabonie flu flu's at sixty pounds you might have trouble with any mechanical type head functioning properly. I also know that a lot of folks have gone back to aluminum arrows in the past couple of seasons just for this reason alone.

Edited by - creekrunner38 on 04/06/2002 15:46:07
Old 04-08-2002, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the report. I have a set of these but never use them anymore. My main complaint with them was how fouled up they seemed to get after just a few shots. Once they got dirty, I couldn't get them to function. I had to completely dissasemble the heads, clean em up, then reassemble them. Not a very easy task with such small parts. I think that experience has led me to have a general dislike for all mechanical type of heads. I've stuck with Muzzy 100 grain 3-blades and have been completely satisfied.

-Mike
Old 04-10-2002, 03:33 PM

I have already ordered a set of these broadhead before I read this post. I think I will send them back. I was planing on using this broadhead for turkeys in a couple of weeks. If this head is slow to open it might not perform that well on a turkey.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:24 PM

Woodsy1 I would say keep them & use them for turkey, they really do work good for that. all those feathers do a nice job of causing those blades to open. now if you want something to use for deer & turkey I would look for another head. of course that is just from my experience.

good luck! I am also trying out heads for turkey season too.....so far no idea what I will use! was thinking about the shockwave or the rocket hammerhead......I'll get it figured out soon enough!
Old 04-10-2002, 09:45 PM

What is the chance of getting a report on a heavy broadhead on a heavy arrow. I use the 190 grain simmons intercepter on a 2419 with the total weighing in at 700 grains. Not that much speed but a heck of a hole and blood trail.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:41 AM

I just wanted to bring some of these reviews back up in front since people are getting ready for hunting season now.