HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Rocky Mountain Ironhead 125 Screw In Broadhead (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/7922-rocky-mountain-ironhead-125-screw-broadhead.html)

moonge 04-04-2002 02:41 PM

Rocky Mountain Ironhead 125 Screw In Broadhead

Rocky Mountain Ironhead 125 Screw In Broadhead:

Construction: Steel Body Unicut Ferrule, Stainless Steel Blades

Weight: 125 grains
Blades: .030 Stainless Steel
Cutting Diameter: 1-1/8"
Heads Per Package: 6
Cost: 32.90 Direct from Rocky Mountain
Head Type: Screw In

Overview:
It seems as if Rocky Mountain Broadheads have been around for eons. I
remember seeing the old adds in Bowhunter Magazine 15-20 years ago and always wanted to try them. Well I never did try them back then but I did just test the Ironhead, I was impressed! This thing shot like a dart and has the sharpest blades I have seen yet. The ferrule and tip are one solid piece of steel. The head is well machined and had no flaws that I could see.

Rating system: 1 = poor, 10 = best.

Durablilty: 10 - I didn't break anything and it held together no matter what I put it through. I havn't shot it into a steel drum yet but heck it was about as tough as they come. From the look of the head the blade locking system won't be as strong as Muzzy's system. I really see no disadvantage to this and the ferrule looks as tough as they come.

Quality: 10 - This head has some of the sharpest blades I have seen! I shoot boradheads into a giant old pillow target and most don't make it through. These blades sliced right through with no problem and went through a second one too! Anything with blades this sharp and is well designed to boot gets a 10 in my book and this head does just that.

Flight: 10 - This broadhead shot really good and I didn't have any problems getting it to fly well. As with any broadhead the major thing is getting your bow tuned good. I had no problems getting this head to group well at 50 and 60 yards. It flies great and I am really happy with the ease of tuning with it.

Price: 9 - They cost a little more than Thunderheads and Muzzy's. Since the blades are so sharp I guess they are worth the extra money. The head also looks like it should last a long time so the costs isn't bad.

Total Score: 9.75

Final Comment:
I really like this broadhead after shooting it. My only complaint is the way the blades lock in. They have to be locked into place when you screw the head onto the shaft. This can be a little bit of a pain if a blade come loose. Overall I liked what I saw, If you want a 100 grain broadhead the Titanium 100 is the same head with a body made of titanium.....it should be even tougher! simply stated, I love these broadheads!

Please Note: My test results for any broadhead is based on the quality, inovation, and basic durability of that broadhead. My reviews do not include any penetration tests. I am not concerned with that, if you want more information on those types of tests please search for 5 Shots broadhead penetration test.

Edited by - moonge on 07/30/2002 16:52:06

5 shot 04-04-2002 06:21 PM

RE: Rocky Mountain Ironhead 125 Screw In Broadhead

Moonge, thanks for the report. I agree 100% on the Rocky blade sharpness! I belive that they are about as sharp as you can get a broadhead blade! I was wondering about the iron head, I have tested the Ti-100 and 125's, and they proved to be outstanding! I also agree that the only realy draw back is that like many heads, they are held together by screwing them into the arrow shaft. Once they are attached though, you won't have any problems. It would be interesting to see how the iron heads compare to the Ti-125's, they cost about 1/2 as much. I have found overall that Rocky mtn has excellent quaility, and customer service. Thanks again for the report.

moonge 04-05-2002 02:02 PM

5-shot the Rocky T125 has a slightly wider cutting diameter. When I e-mailed rocky a while back they said the ironhead & the T-100 are the same head. The reason for the titanium series was based on the fact that people wanted the ironhead in a 100 grain model & the only way to make one that was strong was to use titanium instead of steel.

Olink 04-05-2002 09:26 PM

Nice report Moonge. IMHO, the Rocky Ironhead 125 is the best flying, toughest 125 grain fixed blade head on the market. I do have to disagree somewhat with your price rating of 8 though. $32 for six heads is basically the same price as Muzzys or Thunderheads. If you look on Ebay, you can get them ALOT cheaper. Personally, I'd give them a 10 for flight as well.

5 shot 04-06-2002 05:47 AM

Moonge, thanks for the clarification. I know now that I will have to get a hold of some of these for testing!

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS

moonge 04-06-2002 09:37 AM

5 shot - rocky mountain will sell 1 head of each of there designs just for testing purposes. go to their web site & check it out, the prices arn't too bad for just one head.

Antler Eater 04-07-2002 09:49 PM

The Ironhead is a high quality broadhead for sure, one of the best. In addition to the tests I have put them through they perform excellent on live game. They have put down many deer in short order for me.

I would agree with moonge's assessment. Both pro and con. Well Done.

moonge 07-29-2002 11:40 AM

I just wanted to bring some of these reviews back up in front since people are getting ready for hunting season now.