HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   Young hunter looking for some answers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/78391-young-hunter-looking-some-answers.html)

MNPheasantHunter 11-08-2004 04:17 PM

Young hunter looking for some answers

Ok guys, hope i get some good info. Would a 45 - 50 lb bow kill a nice deer, like muscluar deer. i tried pulling my dads 55 lb bow and i could only pull it halfway.. please help me guys, i want to get out next year. Thanks in advance for the response.

OhioHunter88 11-08-2004 05:04 PM

RE: Young hunter looking for some answers

Yes a 45 pound bow would kill a nice deer but i wouldnt shoot a deer over 20 yard

Ohio Hunter 88

mjqood0 11-08-2004 05:40 PM

The legal minimum for a bow here in NY is 35 lbs to hunt deer.

While I think this is a little light, 40 - 45 lbs will definately kill a deer if the right broadhead is used.

That being said, I would limit the distance I shoot to what you can comfortably aim at with little drop in the arrow (20 or so yards is probably a good first guess).

Also, be sure to use very sharp (cut on contact may be best) broadhead that is NOT mechanical. Mechanical heads need more energy to open correctly upon hitting the target. I would recommend a light Muzzy head or a 100gr NAP Razorback. I have little experience other than with Muzzy, so maybe someone else can answer this portion a little better.

Anyway, if you start shooting now, you will be suprised by how much strength you gain by next year. Just have to get out and practice practice practice!

Good luck!

MNPheasantHunter 11-08-2004 08:28 PM

Thank you so far for the tips Ohio and mjgood0. so mj, im thinking about getting a 50 lb. bow, and im going to do A LOT of scouting with my dad, were going to be building some good stands for next year. I'm going to go out in the stands, and get some targets out, and shoot those from the stands, so im guessing if i get a 50 lb. bow, i could probably kill a deer from 20-25 yards away, so i'll prolly put some targets around 15-25 and put some more a little farther away to see how much damage it would be if i really did shoot a deer from that far away. Well, im totally brand new to bow hunting so i don't know what any of those arrows you mention mean or what they look like.

BOWFANATIC 11-09-2004 12:20 AM

I'd suggest getting a 40 - 50lb bow! As far as the legal minimum poundage goes , there's a big difference between a 40lb traditional bow and a 40lb compound. Dont let your testosterone be a factor when making your choice!;) You want a poundage that you can pull back smoothly while holding the bow straight out in front of you.

mjqood0 11-09-2004 09:10 AM

The broadheads I mention will screw into any standard arrow. If you can go to the Cabela's web sight, you can find both of these broadheads pictured there.

Cut-on-contact means that the blades extend all the way to the front of the broadhead. This means that there is no pointed tip, but a razor sharp cutting edge which hits the deer first. For lower poundage bows, this does seem to help get good penetration.

I think your idea of practicing from your stands out of season is the ticket to a successful year. The more comfortable you get shooting from a stand, the better you'll be when a deer comes around. You'll also get a good idea of your range. When you find a comfortable range shooting at targets, subtract a few yards from that (to account for the jitters of actually shooting at a deer) and limit your shots to that distance. THis way, you'll be sure to be confident in your abilities. Nothing ever helps ore than confidence.

Good luck! You'll do just fine with the gear you mention. Just make sure that the bow fits you well in both draw weight and draw length. Many are tempted to get a bigger bow to "grow into" and that's a lousy idea. You'll never be accurate or consistent with a bow that doesn't fit you.

Have fun with the shooting!!!

MNPheasantHunter 11-09-2004 09:22 PM

ooo, i cant wait to get it, i was at Gander Mountains today, and was testing some of there bows out, i can pull a 50 lb. bow back pretty smoothly, but i know if i get that, i'll be shooting all summer, so i'll gain some muscle... but my only concern is, that when i pull it back, i kind of have to lift it up, do you think i should go to a little less? i have to just lift it up just a tad bit to get the bow back all the way, and ty so far for the help fellas!

bilbow 11-10-2004 06:03 PM

Hi MN. I would turn down the bow a little. When you raise the bow toward the sky to draw you are using all arm strength. A horizontal straight draw uses your back muscles as well and less overall movement for the deer to pick up on. After you practice a lot you will be able to turn the poundage back up. Of course you could always speed up the strengthening process by doing a hundred or so pushups a day. Good luck.

zak123 11-10-2004 06:22 PM

Get a bow that goes from 50-60 lbs. You will build muscle. When I first drew my bow back it was set at 58 lbs. I couldn't pull it back. I shot for awhile and can now pull back more lbs. I would suggest you get a cut on contact head like the Magnus Stinger 2 blade if you get a light bow. Also keep your shots close.

GWARVET 11-15-2004 11:33 AM

Very good advice so far, I would like to add one thing. Shoot it with the clothing you would most likely be wearing next year. And if you can try sitting in the stand when it is 15-25 degrees out sit for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes than try pulling the bow back and shooting one of your targets. You may notice it get's a little more difficult to pull it back and still mantain good form. Just my two cents

From another Minnesota Bowhunter

Good luck