Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

NAP Spitfire broadheads

Old 11-05-2004, 07:37 AM

Default RE: NAP Spitfire broadheads

I have taken about 12 deer with spitfires and have never had a problem. I tried the new Spitfire XP's with the cut on contsct tip this year, they work great as well. I have never had a blade open in flight that I'm aware of and the longest tracking job I've had was 30 yards. I believe that shot placement is the key regardless of what you shoot. The spitfires have improved my accuracy and the results show it. I see no point in changing anytime soon. I'll continue to hunt with both the Spitfire and the Spitfire XP.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:13 AM

good luck i lost a deer with spitfires and changed the next day. the tip was broken off and blades did not open. now muzzys only?
Old 11-13-2004, 04:48 PM

there is almost no way those blades will not open. I found my arrow after i shot my buck and 2 were almost closed so i thought they didnt open. Well i found the buck and there was a great hole with all three blades open. Those blades can close up after they exit. I can see the tip messing up though
Old 11-23-2004, 06:36 AM
BHS

I have also killed 3 deer, 1 doe and 2 bucks with 125 Spitfire's. The bucks were perfect broadside side pass thru's and the doe was spined. She dropped in her tracks and the bucks were recovered within 50 yards. Great broadhead. I would however recommend taking them apart and cleaning them real well prior to re-use. They get pretty gunked up.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:31 PM

Let me tell you about spitfire broadheads. These are the most unbelivable broadheads I have ever used. The entry was devastating and the exit was mindboggling. I will never use another broadhead again. Awesome.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:02 AM

Check this out. Broadside shot on doe at 18 yards. Shot placement is the key. devastating. have never had problems with not opening all the way or at all.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:56 AM

mic-

My suggestion with the Spitfires is, do not mess with them out of the package. The blade retention system is designed with that kind of "resistance" to prevent them from opening prematurely as they are released from the bow....especially if you are pushing them out of a relatively "high-speed" set-up. As others have described, this can cause some frightful planing issues. It's happened to me twice this year with heads I have re-used. Lesson learned. Trust me, the amount of energy imparted by the arrow, and the resistance provided as the head reaches your target will be more than sufficient to release the blades to do their work. I have taken 10 deer thus far using these heads, and aside from the two incidents I've referred to here (which were my fault) they've performed flawlessly. I have yet to trail a "Spitfire'd" animal farther than 65 yards.

Good luck....safe hunting.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have two - thee packs of 100 grain NAP Spitfires I have never opened. I shoot NAP Thunderheads and for me they work great. I have no reason to switch so anyone interested in throwing me an offer for the Spitfires - would be great. Otherwise I plan on putting them on ebay. Thanks.

[email protected]