Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 LeafRiver Digital early review >

LeafRiver Digital early review

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

LeafRiver Digital early review

Old 10-27-2004, 07:13 AM

Default LeafRiver Digital early review

I have had my Leaf River Digital trail camera for about 3 weeks now. It's has the viewing screen. I have not had it long, but i know a lot of people want infoe. Here is my likes and dislikes.

Dislike-trigger time seems to take about 4 or 5 seconds. You pretty much need to stop the animal to get its picture.

Viewfinder is great for checking in the woods, however the screen is to small to see the time stamp or detail if deer is far away. Not being able to see the time stamp on view finder was dissapointing to me.

Batteries seem to be holding up. Due to where I've placed the camera I have not gotten but about 10 pictures in 3 weeks(3 were in flash). Battery level still shows full.

Locking capabilty is good. Its very easy to atach a chain and lock. However It will not except a very big lock.

Over all, I like the unit for placing over scrapes and food. If I were to buy a new trail camera now. I'd look for something with a faster trigger time.

This is my first camera, so takes this post as coming from an amature, I just wanted to tell yall how I felt about it.

Good Luck and God Bless! Danny in Georgia
Old 10-27-2004, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: LeafRiver Digital early review

Well, for a review I was expecting to see some pics?? I'm interested in the actual quality of the pics? I don't care what size deer they happen to be? I would like to see a few? I'm very curious because I should be receiving mine today or tomorrow. I have owned the Stealth 3MG Digi and I have a Cuddeback that works MUCH better than the Stealth. However, I heard several good reports on the Leaf River unit so I'll give it a try? I think it will be a good unit. I think the only way to get a faster trigger speed on any of the Digi trail cams would be to build your own because they all seem to take a few seconds.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:04 PM

The delay you are discussing is inherent to all digital cameras. Take a situation where there is no need for a flash. Most 35mm cameras use no battery for anything other than focus. Therefore, the delay from when movement is noticed to the time the shutter opens is very short.

A digital on the other hand needs not only to have all the componants powered on (my regular digital takes about 3 seconds to power on due to this. Usually, your camera shows a splash screen to cover up this overhead). After that, it must focus and then snap the picture. It must then store that picture out to a flash card, or other medium.

When a flash is necessary, both types of cameras take longer since they have to charge the flash.

Glad to hear you are happy with it in the end!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:05 PM

I'm thinking about getting a cuddieback digital.Any reason not to?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:04 PM

The picture quality is very good. I have no complaints with anything other than trigger and date too small to see in the field.
I'll try to down load, but forgive me if its don't look good. It was great before I downsized.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:17 PM

Tried different way.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:01 AM

Like my Leaf too......be sure to back the cam off the trail a little and point it down the trail at least 45 degrees....you'll get good pics....also use a Python cinch lock.......3/8 " cable 10mm is very heavy when locking to a tree......Lowes hardware carries them.....padlocks for locking bar don't need to be as heavy since this is only for securing enclosure to prevent camera tampering....don't use the locking bar and padlock to secure to a tree......use another lock such as the Python cinch lock.....plenty thick....I've had mine for a month now and really like it very much.....more so than my Cuddeback I use to have...nice cam too......but the Leaf seems to be more bang for the buck !!
Old 10-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

BozZ,

I'm still waitin' to see some pics from the Leaf River? I even sent ya a PM asking to see some? I went ahead and ordered one to compare to the Cuddeback that I already own, I guess I'll see soon enough?

Cuddeback examples

Old 10-29-2004, 11:43 AM

Thanx for the pics with the cuddeback camera.
Can you look at the pics from the ceddeback while in the field?
Does it have a screen or not?
Thanx,
Jimmy
Old 10-29-2004, 04:09 PM

No the Cuddeback does not have a LCD picture viewing screen.....never got that PM.....try sending it to this [email protected] I'll be glad to send ya some pics. I think the Leaf is much easier to use with more features to boot.....the trigger may be a little faster on others but they all slow down soon as the battery goes down a little. Didn't care for the thin locking cable on the Cuddeback either......could be cut with a knife ?!?.......again be sure to use a heavy cable and run it through the metal bracket hole's in back of cam and not the locking bar with a padlock.....I've seen this on one and this would not be as secure as the Python cinch lock through the back. Have fun and keep on camming !!! You should like the new Leaf.

Quick Reply: LeafRiver Digital early review

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.