HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   lag bolt steps (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/74205-lag-bolt-steps.html)

lemond33 09-28-2004 09:52 PM

lag bolt steps

i had this type of step in the past. who makes them??? u slip the step over the bolt and can remove them when u leave.

thanks in advance,

lemond

Jack Ryan 09-29-2004 09:05 PM

RE: lag bolt steps

I've made a few of my own before out of 4x5 angle. The heads will pop off those lag bolts though after they have been in the tree a while. Luckily I learned it close to the ground. I don't use those type any more.

I tie them on with rope now. I've got some that have been hanging on the tree for four years now and I climbe it today as easy as the first day I tied them on.

ash2042 09-30-2004 05:04 AM

I am not sure who makes them but, I have seen them in the cabelas magazine.

Cman 09-30-2004 09:27 AM

They're called API Skyhooks, and since API went out of business these are scarce. Everybody is looking for the hardened lag bolts which come with them. Good luck finding them, might try Ebay - every now and then a set comes up.

Also, last I heard a guy from Greenwich, CT was negotiating to purchase some parts of the company (assets, patents, etc.).

Stryker777 09-30-2004 03:21 PM

Head to your nearest Family Center or feed store and buy the grade 8 bolts with a eye on the end. Then drill a 5/8th hole in the ends of the boards on the outside half and put in a 2 inch steel peg. Then screw the bolts into the tree. 2 per step. When you have em in the tree, put your board on and pegs down through the bolt. Snap in your pins to make sure the pegs cant lift and you are done. Its a sturdy setup and rather cheap. The bolts are about $2.09 a pound around here. Ok, so its not all that cheap but its solid and removable.
Stryker777

lemond33 09-30-2004 07:37 PM

thanks guys...i will have to look through my stuff at my mother's and find my old one. someone needs to reproduce these things again..they are great.

lemond

IL-Cornfed 10-01-2004 10:02 AM

I bought a really mean cuttin' drill bit and actually use the 7" Grade 8 lag bolts as the steps. I can charge up the batts on my cordless drill and go out and put in a couple trees worth at a time. Whats also very nice is that you can get up to over 20+ feet for less than the price of a couple screw-in steps. I usually have many trees "drilled" during the post season but it only takes a couple minutes. Of course I try to be selective on the tree species I select to be drilled. I always try to drill only my "scrub" trees and stay away from my Oaks, Walnut, or any other tree of value to me or the wildlife.