Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Several Summit Stand Models? >

Several Summit Stand Models?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Several Summit Stand Models?

Old 09-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Several Summit Stand Models?

I see a Summit Viper Classic (26 lbs and $199) and a Summit Viper 4X (20 lbs and$229) and I see a Summit Bushmaster 4X ( 18 lbs. and $189)

As bowhunting stands go its nice not to have much in front of you in the way. Platform size is the same and the Bushmaster is lighter but looks almost identical.........whats differant? I always hear talk about the Viper, but is the Bushmaster just as good or better?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Several Summit Stand Models?

Here's my opinion on the Summit stands that you listed (hopefully this won't p*ss off anyone! [:-] )

Summit Viper Classic: Heavy gauge steel version of the Viper X4. Same stand. Same look. Same everything. Just weighs a bloody ton more than the X4. Do this: Go to a store where they have all the Summit stands already boxed up for sale (Dick's Sporting Goods, Galyan's, etc...) Pick up the Summit Viper Classic. Reach down and grab the whole box and lift it up. Notice how heavy it is? Imagine hiking in 1 - 1 1/2 miles with that weight on your back! [&:]

Summit Viper X4: Lightweight aircraft aluminum version of the Viper Classic. Surprisingly light and rugged for the size of it. I mean, amazingly light. After picking up the box with the Viper Classic in it, you go and pick up a box with a Viper X4 in it, and you will go, "Daaay-um! This weighs next to nothing!"

Summit Bushmaster: Another incredibly lightweight aluminum climber with an open front, like the Summit Broadhead Backpacker. The difference here is the Bushmaster doesn't have a backrest (highback seating cushion), and it doesn't fold flat like both the Broadhead Backpacker and Bullet Backpacker. It's nice, but then, once you sit in a Viper or Goliath or Cobra, with the highback cushion, you won't look back).

Summit Broadhead/Bullet Backpacker: Really new, really cool, stands that fold flat as a dime. The Bullet Backpacker is essentially a Viper X4 but the big "V" brace in the back collapses down to fold flat. The Broadhead Backpacker is essentially a Bushmaster, but with a backrest, and it too folds flat. Believe me, I really studied the Summit stands and did my homework. I tried them out and various stores and at a big sportsman's show that was here in town a few months ago. I liked the idea of the flat folding stands, but then, at the last minute, I changed my mind, because of the possibility of it making noise while assembling it in the early hours before climbing the tree.

Long story short: I got a Summit Viper X4 and absolutely LOVE IT!! At 6 foot, 205 lbs, and 43 years old, the Viper X4 easily holds me securely and allows me to easily climb up a tree without worry.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions!

Butch A.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:58 AM

Butch,

What's your take on the new Cobra x4? I'm a pretty big guy (6" 3", 235 lbs) and an open front stand for bow hunting is a must for me, but I like the climbing bar addition to this stand. Do you think the bar will just be an annoyance to a guy my size or should I have any problems with it? Do to a heavy work schedule right now I have not been able to get out to look at any myself.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2004, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

JPW,

I realized I should have continued with the other models....

Summit Cobra X4: A really cool "do everything" stand, like the Viper X4, but yet has a pivoting bar in front. The bar swings up and over your head, out of the way, once your settled in. The surprizing thing is the Cobra weighs a pound or two less than the Viper X4! Even though it is almost the same size stand. The bar is used to assist with climbing (you can actually sit on it when you climb) and it is stable, secure, and rugged. The only issue I could see is if you are like 6'6" or something, or have the seat straps raised up a bit, then you might bonk the back of your head on the padded bar, once it's raised up out of the way. The other thing is, what keeps the bar up? What would happen if it decided to swing back down on you. I suppose it's easy to use a tiny bungie cord and bungie the bar to the tree, when you don't want it. Long story short: Excellent stand, like a Viper X4, but with the swing up bar. [8D]

Summit Goliath X4: The Paul Bunyon of Summit stands. This is basically a Viper X4 on steroids. 350 pound rating, and yet, still the same lightweight rugged, aircraft aluminum. Instead of me being 6' and 205lbs - if I were like, 6' and 305lbs, I would still fit comfortably in the Goliath, and be stable and secure. The foot platforms on the Viper/Cobra/Goliath are all the same. The seat platforms are where the differences are. The Goliath seating is bigger, roomier, and built stronger.

In summary: When you buy a Summit, you get everything imaginable in the box. The stand, ropes, bungies, the seat 'o the pants harness, all sorts of goodies, and the best is the cool DVD. Believe me, I had to watch the DVD a few times, to see exactly where the foot platform mounted for the best results (you have to attach the foot platform - everything else is fine, right out of the box). Oh yeah... "self-tapping screws" - my a$$! [>:] A cordless screw driver just doesn't cut it. You need a drill w/ phillips head inserted in it. But I first used a tiny 3/32" drill bit and made a small pilot hole through the brackets into the frame, for the foot platform. Then, screwed everything in tight.

After studying some of the Summit stands, reading everything I can get my hands on, then finally deciding on buying one (Viper X4), and lastly watching the DVD, now I understand why Summit is the #1 brand treestand! [8D]

Butch A.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:22 PM

Wow Butch...those are great evals of the Summits. I'm looking at getting a climber and really needed some detailed info. And you gave it. I'm looking at the Lone Wolf Alpha, The Old Man line(because it was also suggested) and the Summits. I thought I could maybe do my research and make my decision online and then just order one, but man is there a lot that goes into these things. Up to this point, I've only used lock ons. Ok....twist my arm. I guess I'll have to make a trip to Cabelas and figure something out. Problem is.....$500-$700 later....I have what I want and a whole bunch of stuff I had no intention on buying. OUCH!!! LOL
Old 10-02-2004, 04:49 AM

You forgot the Summit Clear Shot. I ordered one of thise yesterday, with the handclimber (included). I reviewed all of the climbers and decoded that the clearshot is the best for bowhunting. Nothing to get in your way. Weighs only 14 pounds, 16 pounds with climber. I have a 2 year old Summit climber for sale now, contact me if your interested.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 10-02-2004, 07:06 AM

If you guy's are interested in a Summit Climber a local archery shop went out of business in my area and I purchased 10 brand new Summit Climbers at a great deal. If you guy's are interested in one shoot me an email at [email protected] and I will make you a great deal on a new Summit Climber.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:02 PM

I have the Summit Classic. It weighs 26lbs. After awhile I can feel it in my shoulders, but its not that bad at all. Just backpack it correclty, and if you can get the seat up against your back and butt, then it is pretty comfterable while carrying it. Rather carry a few extra pounds then pay another $100.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:44 PM

I bought a Summit Viper X4 for both bow and gun hunting. The bar does get in the way when bow hunting. You essentially have to stand up to shoot although that's the case with many stands unless the animal is directly in front of you. The bar does make climbing much easier - and I believe safer. It also makes a nice place to set your bow I expect it will be preferable during gun season.

To sum it up: I like it. Its light, solid and very safe. If your going to bow hunt exclusively, the Cobra might better suit your needs. The only problem I see with it is that once you raise the bar it's out of your way - unless the shot is behind you.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:28 AM

Well, you've stated obvious reasons for the Summit Clear Shot.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland

Quick Reply: Several Summit Stand Models?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.