Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Summits foot stirrups and fast back harness mini-review >

Summits foot stirrups and fast back harness mini-review

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summits foot stirrups and fast back harness mini-review

Old 09-23-2004, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Summits foot stirrups and fast back harness mini-review

Only time will tell as to how durable they will be. I am sure by the end of this season we will have a pretty good idea of how they hold up. I guess the bigger your foot the more "problems" you may have. I have a size 11 so it's not bad. Yes the fit is looser, but I still feel like I have complete control over the stand. Of course like Matt said, I have climb for a while with just my feet in the "V". As for kicking the stand back a bit, this has only happend on soft bark pines with me, I think a lot of it has to do with what type of tree you climb? They probably could be made stronger, but we may find there is no need, then again we may find there is. I really like them though, just so much easier to work with, especialy in the dark.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the stirrups. I feel like I have much more control over the platform with the stirrups installed versus the straps and bungee. This method of climbing does take some getting used to if you have never climbed by using the side braces. I use the stirrups to basically keep my feet from sliding out from under the side braces. Most of the weight of the stand is on the side braces and not the stirrups themselves.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seeing some of the concerns some have with the durability of the stirrups I emailed Summit to see what the deal is with them. here is a portion of the email I recieved

The stirrups flex because one that won't flex is more brittle. They
flex
for a reason. As for the temperature, we keep a set of stirrups in a
freezer and periodically take them out and TRY to break them. No luck
at 0
degrees F. The material is rated for -40 degrees F

This was pretty much the "jist" of the email. Knowing Summits commitment to quality I don't think they would release a product until they felt it was ready. It makes sense to me, since we all have probably broke something plastic in cold weather. They said they have tested them over the last year and have had great luck with performance and durability.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 5 shot

Seeing some of the concerns some have with the durability of the stirrups I emailed Summit to see what the deal is with them. here is a portion of the email I recieved

The stirrups flex because one that won't flex is more brittle. They
flex
for a reason. As for the temperature, we keep a set of stirrups in a
freezer and periodically take them out and TRY to break them. No luck
at 0
degrees F. The material is rated for -40 degrees F

This was pretty much the "jist" of the email. Knowing Summits commitment to quality I don't think they would release a product until they felt it was ready. It makes sense to me, since we all have probably broke something plastic in cold weather. They said they have tested them over the last year and have had great luck with performance and durability.
Good deal 5 shot! You're always on top of things! We appreciate it and good reporting as always.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a picture of my stand with the straps in place of the stirrups

Old 09-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man....I wish I would have thought about that!!! I've got some extra straps lying around just in case those stirrups do not hold up! Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Typical Buck

Glad you liked the idea Va.
One other advantage to the straps is you can move them out of the way, once you are done climbing. After you have shot the buck of your dreams, you can slide them right back out to climb down.
Old 09-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Typical Buck

I've been just sticking my toes under those angle pieces for years to climb up and down both most of the time.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:32 AM

Sideways,

Thanks for posting that picture! To me it looks like your straps would be better than the stirrups. Seems to me you get your room back instead of giving up some with the plastic stirrups. That is a great setup I think!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sideways,

Quick question about the straps. Am I understanding you correctly, you riveted the straps to the sides of the braces?

Incidently, there is/was a fellow on ArcheryTalk who did something very similar but he used heavy duty bungee cords instead.

Thanks again for the idea!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.