Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Long or Short? Mathews Ovation or Outback? >

Long or Short? Mathews Ovation or Outback?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Long or Short? Mathews Ovation or Outback?

Old 08-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default Long or Short? Mathews Ovation or Outback?

This will be the last year for my old PSE, and i have been bow shopping alot lately. I have decided to go with the rest of the world and get a Mathews. I thought i had my mind made up on which model but im having doubts. I really like the Ovation because it seems like it would be incredibly forgiving and accurate due to its long 40 inch a.t.a and 8 inch brace height. I dont hunt from a tree stand so length is not a major concern. The main thing im lookin for is accuracy since thats what matters both on the 3-D course and in the field. But every where i look or go all i hear is people bragging and worshiping the new Outback, i havent heard a single bad word about it. They say it doesnt shoot like the typical short bow and that it is smooth and forgiving, though i havent shot it for myself yet. My current bow is 34 inches long, but the most accurate and dependable bow i ever owned was a 41 inch Martin. So i guess im torn between the two now, any suggestions.

Dave
Old 08-13-2004, 02:37 PM

Default RE: Long or Short? Mathews Ovation or Outback?

Both are great bows. My only suggestion would be to shoot them both and decide from there. Either way, u cant go wrong. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason the outback is so good is because it has a long riser. The Ovation has 9 inches in ata on the outback but in reality the risers are only 3 inches different. The length of the riser is what generally provides the forgivness inregards to ata. Also because of this the limbs are parallel which makes it ultra quiet and virtually vibration free. It's up to you though, shoot them both and pick your favorite one. They will both be accurate, and if the ovation is more accurate I don't think a human could tell.( Maybe a hooter shooter)
Old 08-15-2004, 05:27 PM

I love my Ovation, especially since I put custom cable/string on it and
gained another 10fps. One fine shooting bow for me. One thing though.
If you get one the first thing you will notice with the Zebra string/cable
is how slow it is. Spend the extra 50 bucks and get a set of 8125
material string/cable from prostring.com on it. It really makes a
difference on how the bow shoots. Good Luck!
Old 08-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

I'd suggest you shoot both then decide. I own an Outback and do not have any complaints but the Ovation looks good too. I think they both use the same cam. I also believe the Outback is a hair faster. Pick the one you like. Don't base it on what others like.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:07 AM

Go for the inbetween and get an LX

seriously - are you going to shoot from a stand? Elk/Mulies? Walking with it though oak brush?

IF I sat a tree stand 99.9% of the time I'd always go for the longer bow.

But I like to chase elk and in that case I would go with the outback.

either way it's way cool-
Old 08-18-2004, 06:37 PM

Before I baught either I would go shoot a hoyt vipertech and x-tec. As far as comparison goes with the vipertech vs. the outback. the vipertech is a pound lighter, with in 10-15 fps, and has 2.5 inches of adjustability with the cam and half. that adjustabiltiy makes switching from string loops to shooting off the string a snap, and also makes resale alot easier. just my .02 cents though
Old 08-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Spike

I JUST GOT AN OUTBACK, I LOVE IT. YOU SHOULD GO TO YOUR LOCAL BOW SHOP AND SHOOT A FEW BOWS, SEE WHICH ONE YOU LIKE. GOOD LUCK!!