HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting Gear Review (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review-31/)
-   -   First Bow, Your thoughts please... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-gear-review/67544-first-bow-your-thoughts-please.html)

thndrchiken 07-29-2004 06:04 PM

First Bow, Your thoughts please...

Finally decided to try my hand at bowhunting, what are your thoughts on this package bow? I'm just starting and don't want to break the bank just yet. My main concern is to buy something that will give me enough service to learn on and have for the first few years until I'm ready to upgrade. The bow I looking at is a PSE Marauder package, here is the link. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks, Rick
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...l_A&_DAV=email

RIStrutStopper 07-29-2004 09:48 PM

RE: First Bow, Your thoughts please...

In my opinion, though I'm not an expert, you should go to a pro shop, get yourself measured for draw length, and shoot a few different bows to see what you feel comfortable with. No matter how good the package deal sounds, if its not exactly adjusted to your draw length or if you are not comfortable with it, you are cheating yourself. At the very least, make sure the bow you buy can be adjusted to your draw length and you are comfortable with the weight (dont over-bow).

Roland from Calif. 07-30-2004 11:14 AM

You're really best off giong to the local pro shop and getting set up correctly. Most of them have equipment that might be a year old that would equal the price of what your going to spend at Cabelas. I'd also recommend that you find what fits you best and spend what ever is required to get it. Most bowhunters start with a mid-range bow and find that they want to upgrade after six months and end spending more than if they would have just got what they wanted to begin with.

Krotalus 07-30-2004 11:47 AM

I see you are in NJ, if you are close enough to drive to the PA Cabelas go for it, they have a pro shop there and will measure you and set everything up. They have many setups in store, along with a test range to shoot them.

But if you arent close enough to the store i would recommend going to a local pro shop.

I did pretty mught the same thing but with the PSE Fire Flite at Cabelas. They measured me, i shot a few models and weights then chose the Fire Flite, the tech then made sure that my nock and peep were properly located and cut my arrows to length. This year i upgraded the sight and rest, next year i am probably upgrading my bow and saving the Fire Flite for my oldest son.

trestand 07-30-2004 02:07 PM

thndrchiken,Cabelas is my Favorite store.I would'nt buy a bow from them,though.Not anything against Cabelas,it's just that you should go to a trusted local bow shop and get fitted.Let the "pro"bow shop know what your budget is and I'm sure you'll make out just fine...Bob

nubo 07-30-2004 09:27 PM

You can get some pretty good deals to start from at Cabela's but it's far from top of the line .If you know your measurement's and are capable of working on your bow yourself then by all means go for it .But I have to agree with the others on this thread since your new to the sport ,the best for you is to go to a local proshop and have them set you up correctly,there's alway's a lot of tweeking to a new bow and your unable to do this when you by from a shop such as Cabela's unless they're local to you .

nubo

jerseyhunter 07-31-2004 08:07 AM

Since you live in Garfield why don't you go over to Targeteers on 46 in Saddle Brook? Its only about 5 min. from you. I'd like to hear your reasons, as it is a fine shop and Robert is good at what he does.

StandSitter 08-09-2004 10:49 AM

Take their advice. I just purchased my first bow from Cabela's...Browning Tornado F5. And although I was pleased with it when I got it, I quickly realized that I had absolutely NO idea what I was looking at. I then took my rig (it's a beginner, so I don't even know if I can officially call it a rig) to my only local bow shop and had the guys properly set it, tune it and teach me. Hindsight - I should have gone there to begin with, but I was anxious to get a bow and start shooting in the back yard.

Go to the pro shop...either Cabels's or a local one...but go and get fitted...and educated.

SS

bigbutteredbuck12 08-09-2004 11:33 AM

i agree with some the guys go to ur local archery dealer and get measured and everything first and find a bow that fits you....but PSE is a great bow..i got one myself :D