Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Mathews Ultra Max, Good bow or not >

Mathews Ultra Max, Good bow or not

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mathews Ultra Max, Good bow or not

Old 07-15-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Mathews Ultra Max, Good bow or not

I was just searching the internet lookin for some bows and I stumbled upon a mathews ultra max. I dont know much about this bow so I was wondering if some of you experts out there could help me out. I have never owned a bow before but I have looked up a lot of stuff on them, but just to see what you peoples opinions on it are to know whether I should by it or not. Its on ebay somewhere if you want to try and find it yourself. Its $200 right now with a good package deal. It has about 5 days on it until its sold so i need some help by then.

Get "R" Done,
Big Dog
Old 07-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mathews Ultra Max, Good bow or not

i think its a good bow.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

My #2 bow is an ultramax and all I can say is MAN IS THAT THING FAST!!!
It is not the quietest or most vibration free bow I have seen but is a lot better than most bows from the past that have killed deer for years. The model has been discontinued for a few years but all the info is still on the mathews website under discontinued bows. Fairly short brace height but shoots very accurate and like I first said, fast. Mine chrony'd at 274 fps with a 500-plus grain arrow and point weight and the nock point was almost a half an inch high when the guy at the bow shop checked it,(they just replaced the cam for draw length and the bonehead forgot to reset the nock) set at 67 lbs and 30" draw.
If your in the market for a used bow the ultramax is a pretty good one to look at.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Ultra Max was the first Mathews I ever bought. I have since owned an MQ32 and now an LX. I shot the Ultra for 2 seasons and loved it. As stated above it is FAST! There are trade offs though, it is not very forgiving and it does have more hand shock than today's high-end bows. All in all it is a good bow and it would be hard to beat for the money your talking about spending on it.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:07 PM

Looked up some more info on it seems like a very good bow to have but its already in less then a day gone up 100 dollars so i probly wont stick with it to much longer, the other bow I found with about a day left on the internet is a champion extreme uniflex, but who knows i might not buy a a bow for another few months,

BIG DOG
Old 07-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Spike

Own one and love it.