Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Sorry, but I have to ask Mathews or Hoyt??? >

Sorry, but I have to ask Mathews or Hoyt???

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Sorry, but I have to ask Mathews or Hoyt???

Old 06-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Spike

Default Sorry, but I have to ask Mathews or Hoyt???

I have been out of the compound loop for about 5 years now after going to strictly traditional. I don't have the time to be proficient with the traditional bow so I'm going back to compound. I have looked at Mathews, which is what I used to shoot, and Hoyt. More specifically the Mathews Outback and Legacy and the Hoyt ViperTec and XTec. I've heard numerous different responses about the timing issues of the cam and half. What are the opinions of the owners here??
Old 06-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sorry, but I have to ask Mathews or Hoyt???

Well I tried the outback and the xtec last month. I myself went with the xtec and I love it. As I think most of the responses will be try many and go with the one YOU like the best. IMO the outback was not as nice as the xtec. Others will tell you differently. Either way they are both quality bows and you should not have any problems with either. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:48 AM
c j
Typical Buck

Well, I tried the Outback and both Hoyts, and, IMO, the BowTech was the way to go.

But, if choosing between the three you mentioned, I'd go with the Outback. Personally, the draw and grips on the Hoyts weren't for me.

Seriously though - check out BowTech if you haven't already. (And I have to think you haven't already or they would have been included in your choices! )
Old 06-25-2004, 09:40 AM
PLB

I second wihunter402. Same experience, same choice. I also shot a few Bowtech's and they felt top heavy to me (I didn't try the liberty or justice). Shoot 'em all and get the one that fits you best.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am with cj on this one. Check out the Bowtechs as well. Similar cam and bow design to the Mathews but with better quality control and excellent customer service.

If not Bowtech then go with the Hoyt. Their quality and designs are always cutting edge.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

I tried out all of the bows you listed pluse the BowTech Patriot SC,Duelly, and liberty. All are outstanding bows.

What I didin't like about the Hoyts is the handle was just to small for me. I didn't feel like I had control of the bow. What I did like about it was it is a very fast quiest bow.

Mathews LX was a nice bow but a lot harsher draw cycle than the Outback. LX had good speed put it down for the Outback.

Mathews Outback was an outstanding bow was one of my final 2 choices of all the bows I shot.

Bowtech Patriot dulley was an outstanding bow but the finall decision came from the fact it only came in 65% let off and with my arrows I only lost 4 fts (chrono'd) with my arrows.

I spent 2 days going back and forth between 2 dealers shooting the Outback and the Patriot SC and it finally came down to the fact that the Patriot was all around smoother than the and faster than the Outback. Also just wasn't quit sure of a bow that short. I went with the Patriot SC and would not change it for the world.

Just my .02 worth.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:16 PM

i own a hoyt razortec and bowtech mightybmite both nice bows but the hoyt razortec has alot smoother draw and i think more stable.. i did try the mathew outback and did not like it. timing issue on cam 1/2 i haved oned two and no problems.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like my Outback. I never really liked split limbs or the grips on hoyts.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Typical Buck

It dosen't matter what bow you have as long as your comfortable with what your shooting. Mathews and hoyt's are excellent choices , go to the pro shop and shoot some bows and make your decision. there are pro and cons for every bow out there. Best of luck in your choice, glad to have you back in the world of bowhunting. Lou=Lou
Old 06-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Typical Buck

Before everyone bites my head off for my earlier comments, I was just trying to support our fellow bowhunter not take a stab at traditionalist. My apologies.Lou-Lou

Quick Reply: Sorry, but I have to ask Mathews or Hoyt???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.