Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Snyper's adequate for elk? >

Snyper's adequate for elk?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Snyper's adequate for elk?

Old 06-20-2004, 08:13 PM

Default Snyper's adequate for elk?

5 shot reported the snyper's penetrate particularly well for a mechanical. Can I expect adequate penetration at 278 fps with 27" gold tips(actually chronograhped)? They shoot so well I don't really want to change my set up. If I need to change to fixed broadheads, which broadheads would you suggest are mostly likely to fly right with my 100g field pts? The bow is a bowtech patriot (sc) set at 70lb.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:40 PM
PLB

Default RE: Snyper's adequate for elk?

Absolutly!!!

I plan on using the same head on muley's this year and if I'm lucky enought to get drawn for elk, I will be using them on elk as well.

One of my buddys shot an elk last year with the Snyper. He was extremely pleased in it's performance.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buy a pack of 100 grain slick tricks. They fly as well or better as any broadhead I have ever tried. Including mechanicals and field points.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally , I'b be leary of using them on elk! I have Snypers in my quiver for whitetails but everything is bigger on elk , even the rib bones would make me nervous.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:06 PM

I would have to second Bowfanatic's reluctance to use them on elk. Most elk hunters will tell you to use a fixed blade, cut on contact broadhead for large animals like elk. You might also want to check the state's laws regarding mechanicals. Most western states do not allow them to be used on elk and mule deer.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

My comment.....

It depends on how much your Goldtips weigh. If you are shooting a 28 inch draw length with a 70 lb Patriot single cam and the appropriately spined Goldtip for your setup then you may very well be marginal in terms of the KE figures to get adequate penetration out of any mechanical....even the Snyper.

Head over to www.bowjackson.com to determine your arrow weight and subsequent KE figures.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend you switch to a fixed blade. Look at Muzzy's 100-grain or 125-grain heads. There are a bunch of good fixed blade heads, I just like Muzzy's.
Check your states regs, mechanical broadheads might not be legal for elk hunting?
Old 06-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are shooting a 28 inch draw length with a 70 lb Patriot single cam and the appropriately spined Goldtip for your setup then you may very well be marginal in terms of the KE figures to get adequate penetration out of any mechanical....even the Snyper.
Correct that. It should have finished with.....marginal in terms of KE figures to get adequate penetration out of any mechanical.......for something the size of an elk. For whitetails you should be fine.