Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 5 shot, question on Montec's.... >

5 shot, question on Montec's....

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

5 shot, question on Montec's....

Old 06-04-2004, 01:22 PM

Default 5 shot, question on Montec's....

I was wondering if you have tested the Montec G5's. I looked on your website and did a search here on BBS, but didn't find anything. I have heard that they are very durable, but I am questioning the sharpness in reading some of these posts. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 5 shot, question on Montec's....

Looks like he took it down to post new findings. I read about the Montecs on his page last week I believe. Too bad.. limited bandwidth sux!!!
Old 06-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about that, I am working on more space. Will spend most of today going over ideas etc. Here is a copy of the tests. Sharpness is an issue. I was able to get a decent edge on them, but nothing like I can with a snuffer.
G5 MONTEC:

Plywood: 5 points

Steel drum: 4 points

Tire: 4 points

Cutting diameter: 3 points

Accuracy: 4 points

Blades: 3 points

Non-mechanical head: 2 points

Total score: 25 with a blade sharpness rating of C+

Plywood: complete penetration, no damage.
Steel drum: fully penetrated one side, tip sticking in back wall, no damage.
Tire: full penetration of first wall, no damage.

The G5 Montec is a solid one piece 3blade cut on contact style head. I found them to be very accurate and well made. They shot well, grouping right with my field points at all ranges. Penetration was excellent as was the durability. These are among the strongest broadheads on the market. The only “fault” one could find would be blade sharpness. They would not shave hair out of the package. To be fair I spoke with the manufacture about this and their reasoning is that the blade angles on the Montecs are less steep than those found on similar heads. This allows them to maintain the edge they have longer, but it doesn’t “feel” as sharp. I do not have a microscope to study the blades under high magnification as the manufacture does, and therefore I can only judge a heads sharpness based on the tried and true method of shaving hair and cutting rubber bands. I did however feel it was important enough to mention. The bottom line is that the Montecs are a truly excellent broadhead and that’s all that really matters.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I picked up the Bowmasters and the bow &arrow magazine this week and in one of them they said that Montec had come up with a stone that specifically is made for sharpening the G5's but it didn't say whether Montec would be including them with the blades or not .I think it would be a good idea if they did include the stone to help the consumer make thier decision on purchasing these heads .I feel if all broadhead companies included these it would increase thier sales.

nubo
Old 06-07-2004, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: nubo

I picked up the Bowmasters and the bow &arrow magazine this week and in one of them they said that Montec had come up with a stone that specifically is made for sharpening the G5's but it didn't say whether Montec would be including them with the blades or not .I think it would be a good idea if they did include the stone to help the consumer make thier decision on purchasing these heads .I feel if all broadhead companies included these it would increase thier sales.

nubo
IMO, There are too many good heads on the market to have spend the time and energy sharpening brand new ones. If they aren't shart from the get-go, there not worth the $. Check out 5-shots report on the Crossfire's and Nitrons.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Montec had come up with a stone that specifically is made for sharpening the G5's but it didn't say whether Montec would be including them with the blades or not
They sell their sharpener for around $30. So to answer your question, nope, they won't be including it with their broadheads.

I took a Doe with a G5 last year and it worked OK. Also took one with a Muzzy and it worked OK too.

I spent a lot of time last year getting my G5's really sharp. If it wasn't for the accuracy, I wouldn't shoot them. I tested several broad heads and with my set up, the G5's were the only head that shot exactly to point of aim every time out to 50 yards. The Thunderheads, Muzzy 3 blades, Razorbak, and Steelforce all shot to differant points of aim and had fliers. So........I'm still using the G5's. Am going to shoot some Wasp SST Boss heads in the next few weeks and see how they perform.

BTW, I believe accuracy is No. 1, as long as I take the 15 to 30 minutes per head to sharpen them I'll keep using them until a more accurate head comes along.

Just my 2 cents.